I Have Seen The Lights!

14 Nov

I have finally seen The Northern Lights and it was a truly awesome experience, in the real sense of the word. It inspired awe and wonder. Extraordinary.

Shadows and reflections at Harpa opera house, Reykjavik, Iceland

Shadows and reflections at Harpa opera house, Reykjavik, Iceland

That was at the end of a long day, beginning with a walk around the fantastic Harpa opera house on the seafront, with a view of snow capped mountains across the bay.

Mountains from the Harpa opera house

Mountains from the Harpa opera house

Then we went off to explore Reykjavik on foot through the light snow and ended up at the Elfschool for 4 happy hours eating pancakes, drinking tea and listening to the school’s headmaster, Magnus Skarphedinsson, relating marvellous stories about the Icelandic elves and the people who have seen them.

wpid-wp-1447494309170.jpeg

On my last visit to Iceland, I had a very odd experience, seeing some strange sights. I drew what I had seen and blogged about it and I have just republished my original blog earlier today. Check it out if you want to see what I saw that time. I thought it might have been the Huldufolk ( Hidden People ) but the head of the Elf School thinks they might have been trolls. How cool is that?

14 Responses to “I Have Seen The Lights!”

1. allesistgut November 16, 2015 at 09:30 #

It’s really great that you saw Northern Lights. The weather seems to be really great. Wonderful photos and perspectives from Harpa.

• Rosie Scribblah November 16, 2015 at 12:26 #

It was snowing the night before and cloudy and drizzly the night after. The timing was absolutely perfect

2. Phil Cooper November 15, 2015 at 15:13 #

Loving these posts, sounds like you’re having a grand time, although you’re making me envious !

3. David Reid November 14, 2015 at 18:53 #

Awesome, Rosie. I was lucky enough to see the lights out my back door about ten years ago! Amazing!

4. terence scales November 14, 2015 at 14:03 #

Congratulations…and thank you for the exciting images.Terry

5. Leonie Andrews November 14, 2015 at 12:41 #

Fantastic that you finally got to see the auroras. I found your ‘troll’ photo rather spooky – I’d only heard of the Icelandic hidden folk, never trolls.

• Rosie Scribblah November 14, 2015 at 17:33 #

I hadn’t heard of trolls here until yesterday, I was surprised by that.

6. Russell. November 14, 2015 at 11:27 #

Have a great trip Rosie 😀

• Rosie Scribblah November 14, 2015 at 17:32 #

Thanks Russell, going back home tomorrow but I will be back, Oh yes!

7. sassandsauce November 14, 2015 at 11:17 #

Wow! It’s on my bucket list to see the northern lights. And I’m off to read your post on Icelandic trolls. 🐱

8. anisioluiz2008 November 14, 2015 at 11:10 #

Reblogged this on O LADO ESCURO DA LUA.