And A Cranny

21 Dec

cranny

Yesterday I drew a nook in the old church and today I drew a cranny. I was lucky enough to be able to take some photographs in an early 20th century church a couple of weeks ago and I’ve been drawing from them using white conte crayon into my Daler Rowney Ebony sketchbook. It’s pulling me away from my usual reliance on fine, detailed line and into intangibles, atmospheres and emotions. I’m so enjoying it and getting ideas for manier noir drawings and mezzotint etchings. I’ll be doing a lot more of these sketches I think, I’m finding it very stimulating.

7 Responses to “And A Cranny”

1. Helen Cherry December 22, 2015 at 00:10 #

Indeed a cranny it is 🙂

2. jhv57 December 21, 2015 at 23:44 #

The mark making is so evocative! Really enjoy today’s effort

• Rosie Scribblah December 22, 2015 at 11:31 #

Thank you, Judith. I’m forcing myself to go minimalist. There’s such a temptation to start putting in lots of detail but that would detract from the atmosphere.

• jhv57 December 22, 2015 at 23:00 #

Restraint can be so difficult when the mark making is so seductive

3. Michael Richards (certainline) December 21, 2015 at 23:34 #

Phew, I thought we were going to have a nook without a cranny there. You can’t go upsetting the balance like that, Rosie!

• Rosie Scribblah December 22, 2015 at 11:30 #

Indeed, a nook without a cranny would be unthinkable 😉