Black, White And Sanguine

19 May

May 8

Just back from life drawing at Swansea Print Workshop working with a super model, such an interesting body. I drew into a large, A2, brown paper sketchbook with white, sanguine and black conte crayon and some compressed charcoal. I quickly sketched in the rough outline of the figure in white and then drew into it with sanguine and then black, adding more layers of detail as I went along. It was also great to draw a contrapposto pose, quite challenging.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I’m currently working on a series of expressive drawings of Neolithic and Bronze Age ancestral sites and if you want to see some of my other artworks, please click here.

8 Responses to “Black, White And Sanguine”

1. kestrelart May 22, 2016 at 23:34 #

I’ve wondered how to even make start using this medium. Thanks for posting.

• Rosie Scribblah May 23, 2016 at 07:51 #

I think it’s a fairly traditional approach, the black, white, red media and non white paper were certainly around in Renaissance times. You use conte over wet don’t you? I haven’t tried that.

• kestrelart May 23, 2016 at 08:40 #

Hi
        I know its traditional, and I’ve seen old masters in this material. It’s why I first started using conte crayon, in the limited colour range you describe, before discovering their wider palette. It’s the actual drawing I could not get my head round when I tried, yet it looks simple. Your demonstration starts with white, which I had not tried. I’ll make time to try again.
        N

• Rosie Scribblah May 23, 2016 at 09:08 #

I did a couple of days training in Renaissance drawing techniques, they rarely had white paper back then so used chalk then added the darker lines and tones later. Paper technology wasn’t what it is now, we used quite rough paper on the course in a variety of muted colours, brownish and bluey-grey mostly, all handmade as it would have been. interesting to be restricted to what they would have used back then.

2. allesistgut May 20, 2016 at 07:43 #

I like it. As a model I couldn’t stand so long in that position. Respect!
    Have a lovely weekend. 🙂