Saint Elvis Of Preseli

4 Aug

St Elvis

I’ve just come back from a 2 day trip to Pembrokeshire to draw more ancient Neolithic monuments on my quest across South Wales. The first stone we came to is the burial chamber of Saint Elvis. It’s near Saint David’s which is not too far from the Preseli Mountains. Hmmmm! I wonder if Elvis Presley had Welsh ancestors?

I have been travelling across South Wales with Rhondda-born archaeologist Dewi Bowen and Swansea film maker Melvyn Williams, hunting the wild megalith, accompanied by my portable drawing board, portfolio of Fabriano paper and a bag full of assorted artist’s materials.  Dewi is researching his latest book on Neolithic monuments and Melvyn is making a documentary film of our literary and artistic adventures.

If you want to know more about my solo show in The Worker’s Gallery in the Rhondda Valley in September, please click here.

And if you want to see some of my other artwork, please click on the image below.

Quoit

12 Responses to “Saint Elvis Of Preseli”

1. kestrelart August 8, 2016 at 23:54 #

This year I am going to try to get to your exhibition!

• Rosie Scribblah August 9, 2016 at 07:43 #

It would be lovely to meet you and your family. The gallery is in a lovely area with some brilliant things to do with children. I’m putting together some info about the area so people can make a day or a weekend of it. Nature has reclaimed the Valleys from industrial despoilation and it’s just so gorgeous now.

2. Alli Farkas August 7, 2016 at 22:11 #

Thought I had seen every oddball saint’s name ever written, but never St. Elvis. Who knew?

• Rosie Scribblah August 7, 2016 at 23:11 #

In Welsh, it’s Saint Elfys but pronounced Elvis. Very ancient. And the nearby mountain range is the Preseli, so near to his surname.

3. anna warren portfolio August 5, 2016 at 08:17 #

St Elvis! Love it! Lovely powerful drawing too.

4. lucylawrencedesigns August 4, 2016 at 22:31 #

That made me giggle! Watch out for that ‘Hound Dog’ of his while you’re there!

5. Phil Cooper August 4, 2016 at 22:21 #

One of my very favourite parts of the country so I’m envious of you painting there, being with that wonderful burial chamber, actually of this whole project – you’re making these magnificent monuments your own Rosie. I’m a big fan of John Piper’s paintings and drawings of North Wales and your images are taking on their own similar power, they’re awesome 😊

• Rosie Scribblah August 5, 2016 at 12:12 #

Thank you so much Phil. The friends I stayed with in Pembrokeshire have quite a few Pipers in their collection, I’m very flattered at your comparison. I have loads of ideas for developing this work beyond the exhibition next month as well…..

• Phil Cooper August 5, 2016 at 12:45 #

Glad to hear you’re going to carry on developing idea after this exhibition Rosie, looks like there’s lots more to explore here 😊

• Rosie Scribblah August 5, 2016 at 12:48 #

Yes, I’m getting ideas for screen prints and even, dare I say it, a painting or two!