Summer? Really?

5 Aug

Carn Llidi small chamber

So you’d think that as it’s August we’d be having some nice summer weather. You’d think. Except this is Wales and there I was in Pembrokeshire a couple of days ago, near the top of Carn Llidi, trying to draw in gale force winds. In August. In summer. Yeah.

I did as much as I could, which wasn’t much in those conditions. There are two chambered tombs on the site and this is the smaller, which was slightly protected from the gusting wind by the larger tomb. I managed to get a substantial outline drawn onto my prepared paper and took some photos so I can finish it later.

I have been travelling across South Wales with Rhondda-born archaeologist Dewi Bowen and Swansea film maker Melvyn Williams, hunting the wild megalith, accompanied by my portable drawing board, portfolio of Fabriano paper and a bag full of assorted artist’s materials.  Dewi is researching his latest book on Neolithic monuments and Melvyn is making a documentary film of our literary and artistic adventures.

If you want to know more about my solo show in The Worker’s Gallery in the Rhondda Valley in September, please click here.

And if you want to see some of my other artwork, please click on the image below.

Quoit

14 Responses to “Summer? Really?”

1. allesistgut August 8, 2016 at 07:49 #

Your sketch is so powerful as always.
    It’s a normal summer here with mixed weather. The last years it was too sunny and too hot. Well, I’m fine with it. We get a windy day today, but only Beaufort 7. 😉

• Rosie Scribblah August 8, 2016 at 08:10 #

Thank you. Hope the weather keeps fine for you today 😀

2. janerentoncounselling August 6, 2016 at 10:49 #

Rosie nice to meet your acquaintance in the brambly field near Newport on Thursday! An exciting endeavour and I look forward to seeing the results of all three creative processes. Jane

• Rosie Scribblah August 7, 2016 at 13:17 #

It was so lovely to meet you and to see people visiting the monuments. We are often all on our own. And thanks so much for following my blog as well. Rose

3. glennart August 6, 2016 at 08:30 #

Reblogged this on SMOKINGBRUSH and commented:
    An increasingly absorbing project inspired by some of the finest and lesser-known landscapes of West Wales

4. Leonie Andrews August 6, 2016 at 07:16 #

As one of my artist friend’s says, no one realises what you go through to make art.

• Rosie Scribblah August 6, 2016 at 07:35 #

No, you’re so right. People think it’s nice and clean and easy!

• Leonie Andrews August 6, 2016 at 23:09 #

Laughing heartily here, they’ve obviously never seen any of my working spaces!

• Rosie Scribblah August 6, 2016 at 23:32 #

hehehe one of the things I like best about being an artist is that I have an excuse for always being unkempt and grubby!

• Leonie Andrews August 6, 2016 at 23:35 #

I never thought of it that way!😁

5. frankprem August 6, 2016 at 01:45 #

You have to suffer for your art Rosie. Sad but true.

Good effort in trying conditions though, from the looks.

Bravo.

Cheers,

Frakn

• Rosie Scribblah August 6, 2016 at 07:34 #

Hahahaha yes. There was a terrifying climb to the top as well.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pointing At The Head | scribblah - August 8, 2016

[…] were lucky to have good weather, the day after our eventful trip to Carn Llidi where we were buffeted by gales up a mountain. By contrast, the Newport visit was warm, sunny and […]