Freezing Mitts And Yellow Grass

30 Nov

yellow grass

As we travelled around Iceland, Husb and I noticed that the grass that thinly covers the black lava landscape is an unusual yellowy-orange colour. I think it might be Leymus Arenarius (Lyme grass) but I’m not sure. Before I went, I prepared different drawing media, including a 20cm square sketchbook of handmade Khadi paper. I randomly coated the pages with either a thin grey wash made from Indian ink or one from sepia. This is scribbled onto one of the grey washes using compressed charcoal, chalky pastels and white oil bar. I sketched this quickly from the moving bus – it was about 9.30 am and the sun was only just coming up over the lava mountains, turning the grass quite a vivid rusty orange.

Here’s a photo Husb took of the grass on the black beach at Vik.

yellow grass

And one of me, freezing my mitts off, drawing the trolls in between snow showers.

freezing mitts

11 Responses to “Freezing Mitts And Yellow Grass”

1. allesistgut December 3, 2012 at 10:01 #

You’re really tough to draw outside at that low temperatures. Again a very beautiful drawing.

2. Tin Roof Press December 2, 2012 at 00:03 #

dedication! i dont think i can draw in the cold…or at least not well

3. tokyobling December 1, 2012 at 06:13 #

“snow showers”. What a lovely word. I have never heard it before.

• Rosie Scribblah December 1, 2012 at 06:37 #

It conjures up lovely images doesn’t it? Very cold though 🙂

• tokyobling December 1, 2012 at 06:46 #

Cold makes us feel alive! Heat is quite often the opposite, so I love the cold! (^-^)

• Rosie Scribblah December 1, 2012 at 09:54 #

So do I. I don’t understand why people go to sunny beaches for holidays, I’d much rather be hiking across a glacier.

4. Alli Farkas November 30, 2012 at 20:00 #

I’m freezing just looking at this.