Harleys And Petroglyphs

6 May

image

I realized today that I’m actually in the Wild West, taking a road trip to sketch in different parts of Idaho. First we went to Snake River! What a great name. We trekked through the fantastic desert landscape to find some ancient petroglyphs carved into 15,000 year old Bonneville Flood Melon Gravel boulders at Celebration Park.

It was punishingly hot and after a gorgeous picnic we set out to find Idaho City an hour or so north of Boise. Now, city is a word that described the place when it was founded about 150 years ago. It’s built of wood with boardwalks instead of pavements and dirt roads. It’s a brilliant place that looks like it’s straight out of a movie. We quenched our thirst in Harley’s Biker Bar on Main Street (there were only a couple more streets), probably the only people supping soft drinks in there. I scribbled this.

image

The chaps wore leather chaps! Don’t get that at home.

This residency was partially funded by Wales Arts International and Arts Council Wales.

image

12 Responses to “Harleys And Petroglyphs”

1. karasartisticaladventures May 28, 2013 at 22:34 #

hehe!

2. Alli Farkas May 7, 2013 at 17:46 #

I think the American chaps are a leftover from the old wild West. Makes you look like that old rugged individual otherwise known as the cowboy.

3. martinsdoodles May 7, 2013 at 11:10 #

Looking forward to seeing more drawings from the Wild West

4. Alli Farkas May 6, 2013 at 17:01 #

Ah yes, the leather culture among American bikers is alive and well. I still have my leather jacket from years ago, although I never wore chaps. Guess I was saving that for the horses!

• Rosie Scribblah May 7, 2013 at 11:33 #

Mmmmm leather……..I wore leather jacket when I was a biker, but I never saw any.one in Britain wearing leather chaps…

5. Not So Great Dictator May 6, 2013 at 09:24 #

Reblogged this on Not So Great Dictator Speaks With Words.

6. Love the petroglyphs and other sketches. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I am very envious and turning a lovely shade of green!!