In The Beginning

22 Oct

DSC08065

I’ve been invited to take part in a collaboration between artists in Swansea and across the meltwater in North Devon. I’m starting to plan a new piece of work for it, probably an installation in cyanotype if it works out. I’m beginning with some sketching en plein air so today I took a walk up a local hill to do some drawings and photos of some very specific places that will be relevant to the final artwork. I used Faber Castell Pitt drawing pens in sepia, sizes S, F and B and spent just a few minutes on each. I drew into my A5 leatherbound steampunk sketchbook.

DSC08064

When I got back home, I put on some tonal washes with the walnut ink I made this week. It’s great stuff to use, very silky and thick, it flows nicely off the brush. It settles out in the jar so I dipped into the top to do the pale wash and then pushed the brush into the thick sediment to do the darker tones. This is where the final artwork begins. I have to work quickly from now on as it has to be finished for exhibiting in January.

8 Responses to “In The Beginning”

1. Kelly November 25, 2018 at 15:59 #

Hi, Rosie, can you tell me if you gathered you walnuts in Swansea or elsewhere.I am looking for them and their hulls and am at a loss! Thanks a bunch,

• Rosie Scribblah November 27, 2018 at 07:12 #

Hi Kelly. I was given them, I don’t know where the trees are, unfortunately.

2. martinsdoodles October 24, 2014 at 12:31 #

Great sketch. Sounds like a good project, reaching across the water. Which side is the exhibition on?

• Rosie Scribblah October 24, 2014 at 14:58 #

Thanks Martin. I think there’ll be an exhibition in Devon in January 🙂

3. allesistgut October 23, 2014 at 07:45 #

I really do like your sketches of the town, especially the first one. Have a really lovely day! 😉

4. mrsdaffodil October 23, 2014 at 00:26 #

I like this a lot. It would make a great print. I have to confess that I don’t know what a cyanotype is, although I’m guessing it’s blue. 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah October 23, 2014 at 10:16 #

haha yes, it’s an archaic form of photography, little used by photographers these days. It’s a mixture of cyanide salts that result in a blue photographic image.