Pirate Parrot

18 Mar

wpid-wp-1426717416330.jpeg

Husb and I have been looking after a relative’s Senegal parrot for a couple of weeks. His name is Richard The Bird. He’s definitely a man’s man. He mostly ignores me and sits happily on Husb’s shoulder like a proper pirate parrot. But today for some reason he flew onto me. I was okay with it until he noticed that, unlike Husb who lost his lovely golden locks some time ago, I have a lush head of long hair. So he grabbed some in his beak and tugged as hard as he could. Which is surprisingly hard. My instinctive reaction was to push my finger between the parrot and my hair and pull it back from him. The parrots instinctive reaction was to sink his hooked beak right through my finger. I don’t know if he was scared or having a tantrum but he put a hole though my flesh and drew blood. Ouch! Luckily it’s my left hand so I still managed to sketch him, in graphite into my A5 hardbound sketchbook.

8 Responses to “Pirate Parrot”

1. anna warren portfolio March 25, 2015 at 01:12 #

Very nice sketches – he sounds quite a character, as most parrots are. We just had a massive fight between four rainbow lorikeets outside the window, feathers flying!

• Rosie Scribblah March 25, 2015 at 08:09 #

Wow! Usually the most exciting thing outside our windows are sparrows 😀

2. mrsdaffodil March 21, 2015 at 18:46 #

Ouch! and Ouch! again.

3. Hansi March 19, 2015 at 15:21 #

Great drawing, but after looking at it for a while, I couldn’t help but wanna cracker 🙂

4. allesistgut March 19, 2015 at 08:45 #

So lovely. But the bird seems to be a little bit aggressive! 😉 Have a lovely day!

• Rosie Scribblah March 19, 2015 at 13:35 #

Unfortunately it’s the nature of parrots. They are wild animals and should not really be caged, but he’s been re homed 4 times in 5 years so he’s quite stressed, poor little chap. And he has to put up with Sparta Puss staring at him lol 😀 Sending sunshine your way.