Drawing And Gonging

17 Sep

wall m

Coming up to the end of the second week at The Bagpuss Window and I’m getting on with the gigantic wall drawing, worked mostly intuitively. I’ve been pushing out of my comfort zone. I normally work directly from life, small, with fine pens and my drawing can be very tight and controlled. I want to use these few weeks in the old shop to experiment and loosen up my drawing as much as possible.

The past few days, we’ve been joined by David Pitt who, amongst other creative activities, plays gongs. Wonderful instruments, such incredible music. He was playing today as I was drawing and I got right into ‘the zone’, carried away by the incredible sounds and drawing automatically. When I looked at what I’d done, it was markedly different to the drawings I’d done earlier in the week, much freer. I used my fingers more, smudging the sparse features rather than fretting over details and doing loads of cross-hatching.

Gong

David Pitt and two gongs

It’s been a really good experience so far and there’s so much arty stuff happening locally that Swansea’s being called the new Montmartre.

6 Responses to “Drawing And Gonging”

1. Leonie Andrews September 19, 2015 at 04:44 #

I’ll look forward to that. I enjoyed your other video.

2. Leonie Andrews September 18, 2015 at 00:19 #

The influence of music – wow that sounds (pardon the pun) like an amazing experience. Interesting to see such an impact. I know I choose different types of music when I’m at different stages of working, often choosing no music if I’m really focusing on a new idea.

• Rosie Scribblah September 18, 2015 at 03:15 #

I usually just have it on as background noise, this is the first time I have been aware of an effect. He’s coming in to gong some more today.

• Leonie Andrews September 18, 2015 at 09:00 #

When he’s finished better send him down here. I need some ‘flow’ to make more work for my show in December.

• Rosie Scribblah September 19, 2015 at 04:21 #

Hahahaha 😊

• Rosie Scribblah September 19, 2015 at 04:22 #

Trying to put a short video together of the gonging and drawing