Letting Go Of The Comfort Blanket

3 Apr
big ink a

Work in progress – where will I go with it next?

Here’s something scary, I’m getting out of my comfort zone which is working from what is in front of me. I’ve been clutching to the comfort blanket of working from reality all my life and now I’m trying to let go. And I am not enjoying it one bit. But making art is something I don’t particularly enjoy anyway, if I want to enjoy something I make a cake. That’s my hobby. Art is my vocation. And it’s hard work, lots of work, continuous self-doubt and always pushing against complacency.

I’ve been going out and drawing Neolithic and Bronze Age ancestral stones over the past few weeks and struggling to make them relevant to me. I don’t want to churn out picturesque landscapes, that’s why I’ve tended to avoid doing landscape art in the past. I’ve been trying different techniques to take me away from realism or topographical drawing and into something expressionist, gestural, emotive, visceral.

I’ve started ripping up big-ish pieces of Fabriano paper and daubing, sponging, painting them with my home-made walnut ink without reference to the real world, photos or drawings. I’m relying on the feelings, sensations, thoughts I have experienced when I have been out drawing the ancient monuments.

Oh crikey! Does that make me sound like a hippy?!!!! 😀 😀 😀

Dewis book

I’m travelling around South West Wales with archaeologist Dewi Bowen who is researching his new book on Neolithic / Bronze Age monuments. His previous book on the stones of Ancient Siluria (South East Wales) can be found here. Accompanying us is film maker Melvyn Williams who is recording a documentary about our experiences. Some of Melvyn’s short films can be seen here. I’m working on a series of expressive drawings of ancestral sites and if you want to see some of my other artworks, please click here.

13 Responses to “Letting Go Of The Comfort Blanket”

1. anna warren portfolio April 9, 2016 at 06:41 #

This series is SO good Rosie. The pushing out of your comfort zone is really working. The drawings have a richness and solidity and the ancient unknown stories embedded in those stones can be felt.

• Rosie Scribblah April 9, 2016 at 08:50 #

Thank you so much, Anna. I have always avoided landscape subjects in the past because I had no idea how to approach it and I didn’t have that visceral affinity I feel towards the human figure and the city scape. But these stones and the ancestral echoes are really engaging me.

2. paperstew April 6, 2016 at 00:59 #

Pushing out of the comfort zone always makes us stretch and learn more. Good for you! May the rains take a wee break so you can sketch in comfort, but not enough to allow the cats to bring in rats.;)

• Rosie Scribblah April 6, 2016 at 03:04 #

Oh don’t. It’s killing season! She’s totally grounded.

3. jotsfromasmallapt April 5, 2016 at 03:57 #

“…it’s hard work, lots of work, continuous self-doubt and always pushing against complacency.” Words to myself. Everyday. Nice to know someone else is looking in the same mirror.

4. allesistgut April 4, 2016 at 07:44 #

Great that you left your comfort zone. I’m sure you’ll get new insights. Have a lovely week! 😀

• Rosie Scribblah April 4, 2016 at 07:57 #

Thank you. I hope your weather has improved 😊

• allesistgut April 4, 2016 at 08:33 #

Yes, it was a sunny and warm weekend! But now some rain is on the way.

5. Leonie Andrews April 4, 2016 at 00:26 #

Hippy, whatever 😊. I am trying to get back into making art, as opposed to sketching after a hiatus following my knee op. I think the drugs still have a hold on me. It’s such a struggle just to start, or even pick up on work I put to one side several months ago. One step at a time.

• Rosie Scribblah April 4, 2016 at 01:45 #

Oh goodness, drugs must be quite a handicap. I hope you are feeling better soon