On The Spot

20 Apr

Last Saturday I did some ‘live’ drawing at an art event at Volcano in Swansea’s High Street. My young nephew posed for the best part of 2 hours but he was happy as Larry playing games on my phone. I worked inside the building and drew onto translucent drafting film with carbon, Bideford Black and white conte crayon. Meanwhile, passers by could see the drawing developing from the outside. When I went to take a look, the white conte was far more obvious than on the inside and looked much better in my opinion. The video shows the drawing in progress.

Nathan Volcano and Rose 2

I like the challenge of being put on the spot and drawing live, I’ve always been a bit of an adrenaline junkie and I guess that live drawing is my middle aged version of tearing around on motorbikes in my youth. What a buzz!

If you’d like to see some of my other artworks, please click here.

10 Responses to “On The Spot”

1. mrsdaffodil April 22, 2016 at 19:03 #

Lovely drawings, and a video. What fun!

2. paperstew April 21, 2016 at 19:22 #

We are currently in a month long “Windows on Art” project in Corvallis. Each week a different artist, or team of artists, takes up residency inside a narrow display area at a shoe store. So far, I’ve not seen anyone take drawing in this direction. Super great idea Rosie! Thanks to Melvyn for the video. It’s good to see the work from both sides of the glass.

3. allesistgut April 21, 2016 at 07:37 #

Really great to see you drawing in progress. Phantastic!
    Have a lovely day. 😀

4. jotsfromasmallapt April 21, 2016 at 03:18 #

FANTASTIC!! What a superb idea….drawing for the public. So much to be said for that!!!!

• Rosie Scribblah April 21, 2016 at 07:51 #

Thank you. It’s a real buzz. Lot of pressure to do something decent but easier than riding a motorbike nowadays 😁

5. Leonie Andrews April 20, 2016 at 23:57 #

Thanks Melvyn and Rosie. You are right about the conte, I didn’t notice it in your original photo (maybe thst’s just my dodgy eyes!). I love how the video shows you making those lovely lines in your drawing. Fantastic image!

• Rosie Scribblah April 21, 2016 at 07:50 #

Thanks Leonie. No, there’s nothing wrong with your eyes, the conte didn’t show on the inside. I guess it was the lighting. 😊