The Stone In Merlin’s Town

25 Apr

Museum stone

The final drawing from last Friday’s archaeology / art / film excursion around West Wales is of the standing stone in the grounds of Carmarthenshire Museum, a fine old building in lovely ground in Abergwili, just outside the town. I’m afraid I don’t know anything about it, except that it was moved from its original site to the front garden of the museum, which is worth visiting for, apart from anything else, a collection of standing stones in one of the galleries. The Welsh name for the town of Carmarthen is Caerfyrddin – Merlin’s Fort and refers to the Merlin of Arthurian legend.

I’m travelling around South West Wales with archaeologist Dewi Bowen who is researching his new book on Neolithic / Bronze Age monuments. His previous book on the stones of Ancient Siluria (South East Wales) can be found here. Accompanying us is film maker Melvyn Williams who is recording a documentary about our experiences. Some of Melvyn’s short films can be seen here. I’m currently working on a series of expressive drawings of ancestral sites and if you want to see some of my other artworks, please click here.

6 Responses to “The Stone In Merlin’s Town”

1. melanieezra April 26, 2016 at 00:21 #

Merlin was said to have hidden his treasure here.
    An old prophesy said that a raven would drink a man’s blood from the Stone. A man treasure hunting dug under the stone which toppled on top of him and killed him, a raven flew down and started to drink the blood that had spattered on the stone. I think it got moved by the cleaners?

• Rosie Scribblah April 26, 2016 at 08:44 #

Wow thanks for that. I couldn’t find anything when I googled it. I don’t suppose you have any idea where it was originally? 😀

• melanieezra April 26, 2016 at 10:27 #

It was there. I think they built the town around it.

• Rosie Scribblah April 26, 2016 at 12:36 #

That’s interesting, I’d heard it was moved from its original location but the staff in the museum didn’t have a clue

• melanieezra April 26, 2016 at 13:02 #

It would make sense for Caer Myrddin to be built next to Maen y Myrddin no? Move it to next to the museum as the town grows. I fully expect the original site is not actually that far away, probably under Boots.

• Rosie Scribblah April 26, 2016 at 13:58 #

I think this is a different stone. The one we visited is a tall, flattened stone standing outside the Bishop’s Palace which is now part of one of the museums. There are loads of them around!