More Rummaging

1 Jul

scribble 2

Here’s another offcut of gorgeous paper, a rejected collagraph on  heavyweight Bockingford paper. The original black and white print had a layer of white acrylic painted over the surface, then brushed with a walnut ink wash and finally some scribbles in a thin drawing pen. I dug the paper out when I had a rummage in my draws a few days ago and I’ve been doodling shapes at random, holding the thought of the series of drawings of Neolithic stone monuments that I’ve been doing over the past 4 months and drawing from my imagination. I am very tentative when I draw like this, I have little confidence unless I have a subject in front of me so it’s good to push myself out of my comfort zone.  I used Faber Castell Pitt drawing pens.

I have been travelling across South Wales with Rhondda-born archaeologist Dewi Bowen and Swansea film maker Melvyn Williams, accompanied by my portable drawing board, portfolio of Fabriano paper and a bag full of assorted artist’s materials.  Dewi is researching his latest book on Neolithic monuments and Melvyn is making a documentary film of our literary and artistic adventures. We are following the legendary trail of the boar hunt, y Twrch Trwyth from the Mabinogion, recording the Bronze Age ancestral stones that those ancient hunters would have encountered.

If you want to see some of my other artworks, please click here.

8 Responses to “More Rummaging”

1. kestrelart July 18, 2016 at 23:17 #

Gorgeous

2. anna warren portfolio July 3, 2016 at 09:25 #

Such a wonderful series – these are all working so beautifully. Working over old prints or paintings gives life to the new works in a way that nothing else can.

• Rosie Scribblah July 3, 2016 at 17:03 #

Thank you, it’s been exciting for me to keep working with the same subject matter but in different ways.

3. donnasandsartblog July 2, 2016 at 16:11 #

I really admire your use of line….

4. Leonie Andrews July 1, 2016 at 23:48 #

You are such an inspiration! I finally got out some paper to make a small book. I realised it’s been sitting, maturing, since I bought it in Japan in 2006! Talk about out of sight out of mind.

• Rosie Scribblah July 2, 2016 at 03:42 #

Aaaaaw thanks. You have to wait until the time is right. Like you said, it sits and matures.