Comfort Eating

7 Jun

I know the British summer is notoriously fickle but today takes the biscuit. It’s been so cold and wet that Husb and I went to the Continental Cafe for a full roast dinner at lunchtime, and lashings of hot tea, wrapped in layers of jumpers and raincoats. And now this evening there’s a storm going on outside with gale force winds and torrential rain. It’s the school holidays and summer festival season – Download and Hay-On-Wye have started and they’re getting washed out. Awful!

Anyway, here’s a couple of people also eating winter fodder in the Continental earlier. The chap, a policeman, had an interesting way of holding his fork in front of his face while he chewed . He had his summer uniform on. It’s a popular cafe, good, unpretentious food at very reasonable prices, very old school, always full. It’s been there a long time. You can’t beat it really, especially in the sort of climate when you might need comfort food at any time. Like we do.

10 Responses to “Comfort Eating”

1. notes to the milkman June 8, 2012 at 23:33 #

“lashings of hot tea, wrapped in layers of jumpers and raincoats.”. We’re lucky to have a tea cosy on ours!

2. Hansi June 8, 2012 at 14:29 #

Nothing better than a little comfort food when the weather is crap outside.

• Rosie Scribblah June 8, 2012 at 15:40 #

That’s true, but the weather shouldn’t be so crap – it’s June!!!! But the weather’s like October and I should be eating salads and losing weight, not scoffing bacon sandwiches and getting fat šŸ™‚ Never mind, I thought I saw a ray of sunshine just now, through the grey gloom.

3. hannahflawson June 8, 2012 at 11:47 #

I love the Continental Cafe too! It’s a favourite dinner-time haunt of the gallery assistants… last time I was there I stuffed my face with faggots and peas!
    And yes, I’ve been dreaming of bbqs as well – and dreams they will stay šŸ˜¦

• Rosie Scribblah June 8, 2012 at 12:13 #

It’s brilliant isn’t it? I don’t think I’ve tried their faggots – must give ’em a go. Their liver, bacon and onions is sublime.

4. Helen Cherry June 8, 2012 at 07:37 #

It’s grim isn’t it.. pouring with rain here in Cambs too

5. paperstew June 8, 2012 at 03:57 #

We too are experiencing a chilly spring. Rain with some sun poking through. 10 degrees cooler than normal. Comfort food sounds lovely, but I think I’ll do a BBQ tonight before the rain returns!