The Hunter

7 Feb

27 sparta

Another dead rat in the hallway this evening and one very proud psycho-kitteh strutting around, well pleased with herself. We’ve had a spate of dead rats in recent weeks, some of them quite large and we found out last week where they’re coming from – our compost bin. Husb noticed that our kitchen waste was breaking down very quickly – too quickly! He poked around and found a network of tunnels through the compost. Rats have been burrowing in and scoffing our kitchen scraps…..and Sparta has been lying in wait and killing the rats. Well, that’s what our species domesticated the little furry ones for; protecting our homes and food from rodents.

14 my chair

Although I sometimes think that WE’RE the ones who’ve been domesticated! Husb has secured the bottom of the bin and there doesn’t seem to be any more rat action inside the compost, but this evening’s corpse shows that they’re still coming round to take a look. I’m amazed that she can drag a rat through two cat flaps, across a large kitchen and down a long corridor in her tiny little jaws. She’s a very small cat. The top image is a photopolymer plate etching of Sparta and the lower one, a drawing from one of my sketchbooks.

20 Responses to “The Hunter”

1. Helen Cherry February 10, 2013 at 15:25 #

Supermoggie!

2. Alli Farkas February 9, 2013 at 01:36 #

Hmmm…better a dead rat than a live one, I say. Although I’m sure the Jains would disagree with me.

• Rosie Scribblah February 9, 2013 at 07:22 #

I’m with you on this one. They’re big and nasty looking – wouldn’t want to get bitten by one.

3. I used to have the same problem with my previous cats but it was not only the furry variety I used to come home to find half eaten birds as well. I once came home from holiday and he had obviously been having fun with birds whilst I was away. I was coming across feathers for months afterwards and he was conspicous by his absence for a day or two which was hardly suprising. He must have been very bored!!

• Rosie Scribblah February 8, 2013 at 15:18 #

We’ve imposed a nightly curfew on Sparta for the last year or so. We get her in and lock the catflap at 9pm. This has saved lots of birds because she can’t slaughter them first thing in the morning during the dawn chorus. She made our lives hell for the first month, but then she settleed down.

4. allesistgut February 8, 2013 at 09:09 #

UUhhhhhhaa.. rats aren’t funny to have. Good you have your kittycat. Have a rat-free and beautiful weekend!

5. paperstew February 8, 2013 at 04:22 #

Is that your entry for Leftovers IV? I hope so! Maybe I can twist Amy’s arm to get her to send me one. šŸ™‚

• Rosie Scribblah February 8, 2013 at 14:59 #

Yes it is – I’ve got a nice selection of leftover papers – just got to get myself fit enough to print them up now šŸ™‚

• paperstew February 8, 2013 at 16:13 #

It really does take a lot of energy to do printing. You’ve got plenty of time! Keep getting better!

• Rosie Scribblah February 8, 2013 at 22:44 #

I’ll book myself into the print workshop next week – something to aim for…….

6. mississhippi February 7, 2013 at 23:32 #

I love the etching Rosie. Very effective. Etching is something I haven’t had a chance to learn. Looks like it brings out some great results.

7. notes to the milkman February 7, 2013 at 23:26 #

Good one, Sparta! Let the she-monkey know who the real boss is!

• Rosie Scribblah February 7, 2013 at 23:28 #

I know who the real boss is šŸ˜¦

• notes to the milkman February 8, 2013 at 17:38 #

You only think you know! Do Sparta and Ming get your food ready every day? Do you lie on Sparta and Ming’s bed in such a way that they can’t find a comfy position? Do you demand to be let out at the most inconvenient time for Sparta and Ming? Did Sparta and Ming have monkey-flaps added to the doors for your convenience?

• Rosie Scribblah February 8, 2013 at 22:45 #

That’s what I mean – they’re the bosses šŸ˜¦

8. Sketchy on the Detail February 7, 2013 at 23:20 #

aww, she is showing you what a good hunter she is…you know, just in case the cat food ever runs out šŸ˜‰