Boy And The Big Apple

5 Jul

05 mumbles

Sunshine today and a lovely evening spent with Husb and small nephew in Mumbles, splashing about on the beach and taking a stroll up to the newly renovated Big Apple to buy some Joe’s icecream. There’s a new line – sugar free Joe’s! I’ve died and gone to heaven!!!!! Nephew is all skinny arms and legs and big belly. A couple of years ago, the Big Apple was almost wrecked by a hit and run driver. It dates from the 1930’s and a number of them were set up by a fruit juice company. The one in Mumbles is probably the last left and there was a huge campaign to save it. Lovely to see it back in action, serving icecream to another generation. I did the little sketch below when it was smashed up.

05 big apple

12 Responses to “Boy And The Big Apple”

1. martinsdoodles July 9, 2013 at 11:30 #

So glad they saved the Apple, Mumbles wouldn’t be the same without it.

2. kestrelart July 6, 2013 at 23:04 #

is there still a blow hole in the Mumbles. I spent part of my childhood there.

• Rosie Scribblah July 6, 2013 at 23:11 #

oooh I don’t know. I never realised there was a blow hole there

3. this is lemonade July 6, 2013 at 13:23 #

Love that beach scribble. I got lots of brown paper from trips to IKEA, am always loathe to throw it away. Love the texture 🙂
    The Big Apple sounds like a really cool place to get some refreshment on a weekend like this one! I’m craving something ice cold right now too- glad to hear they’re back in business!

• Rosie Scribblah July 6, 2013 at 17:00 #

Yes, it’s in just the right place when you’re having a walk to have an icecream 🙂

4. Lois July 5, 2013 at 23:46 #

What a great pic of the boy! You are so talented!

• Rosie Scribblah July 5, 2013 at 23:48 #

Thanks 🙂 He likes to pose for me

• Lois July 5, 2013 at 23:49 #

How did you do it – what is the brown part? I guess you didn’t spill your coffee! It is very effective

• Rosie Scribblah July 5, 2013 at 23:56 #

I often stick other papers into my sketchbook and this is torn brown wrapping paper, stuck onto the page with Pritt stick. I drew with a Faber Castell Pitt pen and used a smudge of white conte crayon.

• Lois July 6, 2013 at 00:28 #

So interesting… I wish I was still teaching because that would have been such a great way to get kids to produce something interesting. I taught English and history, but I had a group of Herberts and I taught them art… interesting and rewarding! To do something like this would have been amazing… Pritt stick and brown paper!

• Rosie Scribblah July 6, 2013 at 17:01 #

Yes, it’s so easy and effective and makes sketchbooks a lot more interesting too