After Sir Frank

18 Apr

wpid-wp-1429372901857.jpeg

Husb and I visited the Frank Brangwyn museum in Bruges today. Sir Frank has long been an artist hero of mine but despite massive fame in his lifetime he isn’t very fashionable now. It’s time he was noticed again. He was one of the founder members of the Vienna Secession; his work in the early 20th century shows the mutual influences of Schiele and Klimt. He died in 1967 aged almost 90, having produced a huge body of work; painting, drawing, etching, lithography, woodcuts, even applied arts like furniture design. I’ve known his work since childhood because Swansea hosts the magnificent Empire Panels in the Brangwyn Hall. If you’re in the city, check them out.

I was particularly taken with a large tempera painting of blind beggars from the 1920s and I did this study of the head and hands of one of the figures. His use of strong linework is sublime and easily up to the standard of his fellow Secessionists. I used some graphite sticks that I coincidentally bought at the Vienna Secession when I was there last summer.

10 Responses to “After Sir Frank”

1. mrsdaffodil April 20, 2015 at 03:56 #

Love the placement of face and hands, the space between them. So expressive.

• Rosie Scribblah April 20, 2015 at 05:41 #

He’s an extraordinary artist, sadly largely unrecognised these days.

2. ossjay April 19, 2015 at 18:09 #

No idea who Brangwyn Hall was named after and will look at it afresh and try to see the panels. Might have time tomorrow while seeing friends on Kilvey Hill (rights of way problems)

• Rosie Scribblah April 19, 2015 at 19:33 #

Oh do if you can. They are magnificent and some of his drawings are in the corridors around the Guildhall too. Good luck on the hill.

3. anna warren portfolio April 19, 2015 at 03:40 #

I haven’t heard of Frank Brangwyn before, someone to follow up on. I love the bits of the hands in your sketch, they are so expressive. And I hear it is your birthday (tomorrow maybe?) so I hope you have a wonderful one!

• Rosie Scribblah April 19, 2015 at 09:51 #

Thank you. I’m having a wonderful birthday in Bruges 😀

• anna warren portfolio April 19, 2015 at 10:19 #

Lots of hot chocolate and moules frites! I love the over-the-topness of Bruges.

• Rosie Scribblah April 19, 2015 at 17:55 #

I’m stuffed with frites today. Can’t move 😯

4. anisioluiz2008 April 18, 2015 at 22:39 #

Reblogged this on O LADO ESCURO DA LUA.