Woman In A Ball

4 Aug

Girl in ball small

Some of my blog readers have asked to see more of the series of line and watercolour drawings I did a while back. They were all drawn during life drawing sessions at Swansea Print Workshop into an A3 Cotman watercolour spiral-bound sketchbook. The linework was done with a F.aber Castell Pitt drawing pen and I used artist quality Winsor & Newton half pan watercolours for the colour washes. I used the watercolour quite thick, more like a gouache, in sharp choppy strokes with a stiff square brush.

7 Responses to “Woman In A Ball”

1. humphries346 August 10, 2015 at 10:05 #

Reblogged this on Art History blog.

2. Lemon August 5, 2015 at 14:25 #

This makes me want to run out of my job and go somewhere to paint and draw. 🙂 I really like these.

3. Leonie Andrews August 5, 2015 at 14:19 #

That ‘pattern’ background is quite intriguing. I am trying to understand what I am responding to (BTW this is a positive response). I think it is the contrast with the more fluid lines of the body and the two sets of colour contrasts. It is probably too long ago to recall but it would be interesting to know whether these were conscious choices. Anyway it would be an interesting approach to deliberately take in making a painting. I hope this makes some sense.

• Rosie Scribblah August 5, 2015 at 21:15 #

Hi Leonie, I tend to work intuitively and the colour contrast and variation in line would not have been deliberate choices. I do a lot of printmaking, which is very process driven, so when I draw I try to be as free as possible 🙂

4. allesistgut August 5, 2015 at 07:44 #

So beautiful. I love the coloures! Have a happy day. 😀

• Rosie Scribblah August 5, 2015 at 21:15 #

Thank you. It’s been a good day, about to blog now 🙂