Deconstruct Reconstruct

19 Dec

deconstruct

A little while ago I made a group of cyanotype prints from some original sketchbook portraits of older women. Each was printed onto a piece of heavyweight Bockingford paper cut from a pattern for a Victorian corset. I assembled them originally in the sequence that would assemble the corset, tying each together with purple ribbon and hanging the sequence from the wall. I am submitting these for an exhibition in the New Year and the gallery wants to exhibit prints ‘off the wall’ so I have had to rethink how I put this together. I took it all apart and tied it to a clothes horse. The clothes dryer represents a traditional female role, the corset would have been dried or aired on something similar. The way I tied the pieces was significant. I tried tying the ribbon with bows but it seemed too soft so I tied it with tight knots which seemed more in keeping with my title of the piece, ‘Constrained’.

I’m continuing to develop this piece at The SPace, at 217, High Street, Swansea. It’s open next week, Monday to Wednesday 11.30 – 5.00 and Thursday, 11.30 – 4pm if you want to pop in and see it.

6 Responses to “Deconstruct Reconstruct”

  1. Leonie Andrews December 20, 2015 at 00:29 #

    Hi Rosie I like the tying, but I’m not sure that the clothes horse is working so well in its current format. Here’s an idea – feel free to ‘throw it against the wall and see if it sticks’. Do you know anyone with a dressmakers dummy? You could set the corset up on the dummy and then use the dummy to form an armature for the corset that could be suspended from the ceiling.

    • Rosie Scribblah December 20, 2015 at 09:58 #

      I thought about a dummy but the corset is actually huge, surprisingly big when it isn’t stitched together so is way too large to put on a dummy. Unfortunately, the gallery is in a listed building so nothing can be screwed to walls and ceiling so I have to find a free standing format. I’ve sent for a traditional wooden clothes horse so I will be trying out various ways of fixing the images to that. I also have some smaller cyanotypes of these drawings that I might incorporate as well as the whole thing looks a bit sparse at the moment. It’s a real challenge to rework the piece to suit the architectural constraints of the gallery. Thanks for your suggestions, they all go into the mix 😀

      • Leonie Andrews December 20, 2015 at 11:37 #

        Ah, now there’s a challenge or two. A wooden clothes horse sounds more promising.

      • Rosie Scribblah December 21, 2015 at 06:18 #

        It arrived in the post! I will be working on it today. I will have to do more images, it’s a pretty big contraption. It’s interesting to have the restrictions of the gallery space to work with.

      • Leonie Andrews December 21, 2015 at 06:29 #

        All the best with setting this up.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Breaking Out Of The Frame | scribblah - March 15, 2016

    […] have exhibited them in sequence, hanging on a wall, and I also took it all apart and tied it to a clothes horse as you can see above.  I really liked the clothes airer scenario so I decided to do […]

Please Leave a Reply. Thank You.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: