Little Lovely Leftovers

22 Feb

leftovers

Just finished stitching a set of 15 little prints for the Leftovers VI international print exchange organised by the irrepressible Amy Nack at Wingtip Press in Boise, Idaho, USA. The premise of Leftovers is to use up some of those scraps of beautiful printmaking papers that are often left over from our projects. I have put together an edition of 15 little rubber stamp prints that I developed from an original screenprint. I printed them onto fragments of Japanese Shiohara paper and then stitched them onto leftover pieces of Somerset, using my antique Singer sewing machine. Artists from all over the world participate in this each year and Amy puts together a touring exhibition of each year’s Leftovers that travels the globe. If you’re quick, there’s still time to enter.

9 Responses to “Little Lovely Leftovers”

1. lavendermoongirlblog March 10, 2016 at 09:20 #

Wonderful print. I have an old Singer like yours. I also have my mum’s 1960 Singer which was bought by my dad to encourage mum to make my clothes. It worked because she made and designed many beautiful clothes and soft furnishings.

2. Un po' di pepe March 4, 2016 at 06:38 #

Love the sewing machine and the print! Hope I get one in my Leftovers bag! Ciao, Cristina

3. anna warren portfolio February 23, 2016 at 07:53 #

Your little leftovers look great! Your sewing machine brings back memories – it is the same as my mother’s, which I borrowed about 35 years ago to make my wedding dress! (I no longer sew …)

• Rosie Scribblah February 23, 2016 at 07:59 #

It belonged to my dear, late neighbour. It was her mother’s and when she died aged 92 her daughter gave it to me. It dates from 1904. I don’t make clothes any more but recently started sewing as part of some of my art pieces. These old machines are beautiful.

• anna warren portfolio February 23, 2016 at 08:02 #

They really are – I think my mother’s probably originally came from my grandmother, but sadly it is long gone now. So good to see yours is still active!

• Rosie Scribblah February 23, 2016 at 08:12 #

They were made to last and so easy to fix, mechanics not electronics.

• anna warren portfolio February 23, 2016 at 08:16 #

They really were. Beauty and brains!