Arthur’s Table

29 Feb

capstone 1 a

Up a mountain (Mynydd Llangynderyn), over a ridge, through a bog to a pair of small sub-megalithic burial chambers next to each other under a rocky outcrop. Together the pair is known as Bwrdd Arthur (Arthur’s Table). This is the western burial chamber, called Gwal y Filiast (Kennel of the Greyhound Bitch), which is the same name as several other ancient stones across South Wales and reflects the high esteem in which greyhounds were held for their hunting prowess.  I drew with carbon and willow charcoal onto a piece of Fabriano Accademica paper that I had previously marbled with black oil paint.

capstone 1 b

We’ve been getting better weather lately but the months of rain has left the ground sodden and cold, although these few days of sunshine have been great for getting out and doing some drawing.

I’m travelling around with archaeologist Dewi Bowen who is researching his new book. His previous book on the standing stones of Ancient Siluria can be found here. Accompanying us is film maker Melvyn Williams who is recording a documentary about the process. Some of Melvyn’s short films can be seen here. If you want to see more of my artworks, please click here.

22 Responses to “Arthur’s Table”

1. Phil Cooper March 1, 2016 at 23:36 #

Absolutely cracking drawing this Rosie, the stone looks like some great beast or alien being, it’s so powerful

• Rosie Scribblah March 2, 2016 at 00:39 #

It is a very anthropomorphic rock, quite reptilian. I have been noticing this about quite a few stones and features in the landscape. My archaeologist chum thinks the ancients saw it too and gave these features special significance

2. kestrelart March 1, 2016 at 22:56 #

Striking bold drawings. Great.

3. wenpoyu March 1, 2016 at 11:24 #

impressive! welcome to visit my blog:wenpoyu.com

• Rosie Scribblah March 1, 2016 at 11:26 #

• wenpoyu March 1, 2016 at 11:27 #

Do you speak Japanese?

• Rosie Scribblah March 1, 2016 at 11:28 #

Unfortunately not. I speak English, some Welsh and a very small amount of French, just about enough to order meals and buy tickets 😀

• wenpoyu March 1, 2016 at 11:31 #

Wow,amazing! I am Chinese and learning Japanese now.Good to meet you.I am gonna follow ur blog and polish up mine.~~

• Rosie Scribblah March 1, 2016 at 11:39 #

4. Michael Richards (certainline) March 1, 2016 at 08:43 #

Once again, so evocative. I love these and the marbling gives such an interesting texture.

• Rosie Scribblah March 1, 2016 at 08:52 #

Thank you, Michael. I am going to destroy the white on another batch of paper this week and get out to some,more monuments at the weekend.

5. allesistgut March 1, 2016 at 08:39 #

You did a great job again. I really like your plein air drawings. 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah March 1, 2016 at 08:44 #

Thank you so much. I am planning another trip over the weekend. Rain and gales until then unfortunately

6. anna warren portfolio March 1, 2016 at 07:43 #

Love this series of drawings Rosie, very atmospheric.

• Rosie Scribblah March 1, 2016 at 08:43 #

Thanks Anna. It’s an interesting experience for me because I rarely bother with landscape but the ancestral stones have a resonance for me.

• anna warren portfolio March 1, 2016 at 11:29 #

I agree – it’s elements within the landscape that somehow tell more of the story for me.

7. paperstew March 1, 2016 at 02:44 #

I really enjoy seeing the marbled paper use. It gives the background stones a very different feeling in contrast to the bold charcoal lines. Just lovely! Makes me want to visit you tomorrow!

• Rosie Scribblah March 1, 2016 at 08:41 #

Come anytime! We’re in a good location to use as a base in case you want to explore as well. We’re a ferry away from Ireland, a short drive from England and a convenient airport 2 hours away for most of Europe. Plus Wales is awesome anyway x

Trackbacks/Pingbacks