The Pebble In Arthur’s Boot

22 Mar
Arthur's Stone, Cefn Bryn

Arthur’s Stone, Cefn Bryn

Today we visited Arthur’s Stone at Cefn Bryn on the Gower Peninsular, a Neolithic tomb about four and a half thousand years old. It’s a very popular destination for primary school day trips in this area and there is always a steady stream of visitors as it’s quite accessible from the road. Legend has it that King Arthur stopped across the estuary and removed a stone from his boot, throwing it right across the river where it landed in its present position and grew to a mighty size. In the late seventeenth century, a large chunk of over 10 tons fell off and still lies where it fell.

I’m still using up the recycled Fabriano Accademica paper that I had previously drawn on with my home-made walnut ink, ripping it into drawing-board sized pieces and drawing with carbon and white conte crayon. I’m keeping the drawing very simple, I don’t want to get into representational detail, I’m trying to get a feeling from the places I’m visiting and putting that down on paper, if that makes sense?

13 Responses to “The Pebble In Arthur’s Boot”

1. Leonie Andrews March 23, 2016 at 13:00 #

Exactly so that you express the sensation of place and how you respond to it. Photographs can record the details, that not what making art is about

• Rosie Scribblah March 23, 2016 at 14:24 #

So true. I take few photos when I go on holiday. The few sketches I make are so evocative when I get back home, they take me back there in a way that photos don’t.

2. allesistgut March 23, 2016 at 08:42 #

It’s a very interesting legend and your drawing is really great, again! Have a happy day! 😀

• Rosie Scribblah March 23, 2016 at 11:32 #

Thank you. It’s one of many legends about King Arthur

3. annerose March 22, 2016 at 23:29 #

That totally makes sense. I love them, too.

• Rosie Scribblah March 23, 2016 at 05:45 #

Thanks Annerose, I feel like I am finally finding my way with a landscape subject now 😊

• annerose March 25, 2016 at 00:21 #

Yes, I do think you’ve found a way.

4. Michael Richards (certainline) March 22, 2016 at 22:45 #

Me too!

• Rosie Scribblah March 23, 2016 at 05:44 #

Thank you, Michael. It’s interesting to immerse myself in these places and not concentrate too much on recording detail.

5. kestrelart March 22, 2016 at 22:41 #

I love these.

• Rosie Scribblah March 23, 2016 at 05:42 #

Thanks Neil. I didn’t think I would ever find a way of approaching landscape that I felt comfortable with

• kestrelart March 23, 2016 at 10:34 #

Hi Rosie
        I had not understood from seeing your work unfold in your blog that you were not “into” landscape. The current series is fascinating because you are accompanying an archaeologist and tantalising as often you offer only glimpses of the work in progress. I really do like the textures and abstract nature of this piece. I guess it’s about finding the story in the art.

• Rosie Scribblah March 23, 2016 at 11:34 #

Yes, you’re right, it’s about the story and feeling of the place and focussing on those rather than doing something representational, topographical or decorative. I’ve always steered clear of landscape in the past because I’ve never found that point of affinity but I have now. I’m hoping to be posting snippets of Dewi talking about the monuments as soon as Melvyn has edited some up. He’s so interesting.