People Watching

21 Mar

I tend to go through phases when I make prints, making a sequence instead of random one-offs. This helps me to focus on subject matter, developing a theme and also lets me explore the technique. I did this series a couple of years back, combining transfer prints with drawing. I have hundreds, maybe thousands of sketches in my sketchbooks and I had been wondering how I might use them. I like all my drawings of ordinary people getting on with their lives, not knowing that I’m recording them for posterity.

elderly dude

The elderly dude

I also have lots of digital photos so I printed some of them onto ordinary printing paper from an inkjet printer and took a transfer print using nail varnish remover to embed the image into Bockingford paper. When each transfer was dry, I drew on top, using my sketchbook scribbles as source material. I spent a lot of time matching up the drawings to the transfer prints, it wasn’t done at random. Each drawing reflected the transfer print in some way. You can read a bit more about the technique here.

These prints are available for sale from my Artfinder site.

8 Responses to “People Watching”

1. Alli Farkas March 22, 2016 at 14:28 #

These are lovely, warm, charming images. I think the technique you are using brings out these qualities inherently. In any case, thanks for posting these!

• Rosie Scribblah March 23, 2016 at 06:18 #

Thank you Alli, it was nice to use my sketchbook work for a change

2. Michael Richards (certainline) March 22, 2016 at 08:46 #

Wonderful technique and warm, human drawings, Rosie.

• Rosie Scribblah March 22, 2016 at 09:14 #

Thank you Michael. It solves the problem of what to do with digital photos too.

3. allesistgut March 22, 2016 at 08:39 #

This is an intersting technique. Your are really an hardworking and great artist. I like those sketches really much. Happy rainy greetings from the still cold Baltic Sea. 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah March 22, 2016 at 09:13 #

Thank you so much. You are very kind. Sending some warmer drier weather your way, but Easter weekend is going to be pretty miserable I’m afraid.

4. anna warren portfolio March 22, 2016 at 06:22 #

These are delicious Rosie, a series is a wonderful thing, intensifying ideas. I especially like your elderly dude!

• Rosie Scribblah March 22, 2016 at 09:10 #

Thank you, Anna. He looked like such a character in a local cafe.