Massed Stones

13 Apr

Here’s the recent drawing output from the last 4 days drawing ancient ancestral stone monuments across South Wales, through Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Powys. These stones are sited along the route of Y Twrch Trwyth, The Boar’s Trail, a story from the Mabinogion, the collected myths and legends of Wales.

I’m travelling around South West Wales with archaeologist Dewi Bowen who is researching his new book on Neolithic / Bronze Age monuments. His previous book on the stones of Ancient Siluria (South East Wales) can be found here. Accompanying us is film maker Melvyn Williams who is recording a documentary about our experiences. Some of Melvyn’s short films can be seen here. I’m currently working on a series of expressive drawings of ancestral sites and if you want to see some of my other artworks, please click here.

13 Responses to “Massed Stones”

1. kestrelart April 18, 2016 at 07:15 #

Rosie
    I have long enjoyed your work. However, these for me, these are some of your best pieces. It’s been great following the journey on the blog, and these pieces are stunning. I have taken the liberty of linking to them in a post of my own, commenting on how you have inspired me with your prepared surfaces.

• Rosie Scribblah April 18, 2016 at 15:36 #

Thank you so much, Neil. I’m chuffed with the response this work is getting. It’s a new departure for me and I’m well pleased that I’ve been offered a solo show – should be a lot more by the Autumn. Thanks for linking this to your blog 😀

• kestrelart April 18, 2016 at 15:38 #

I am sure you will tell us when your show is. I’ve never managed yet to get to Swansea to see your art in person, but I will try for these pieces.

• Rosie Scribblah April 18, 2016 at 15:41 #

Yes, it’s September 1st to 24th in The Worker’s Gallery in Ynyshir, but only open Thursdays to Saturdays. I’ll be doing lots more promotion over the coming months 😀

2. Sharon Mann April 14, 2016 at 13:13 #

Rosie, your ancient rock art is very moving. I’ve enjoyed following your process.

• Rosie Scribblah April 14, 2016 at 13:19 #

Thank you Sharon. I’m discovering so much about my heritage as well as my art processes

• Sharon Mann April 14, 2016 at 13:42 #

How exciting, enjoy the exploration.

3. allesistgut April 14, 2016 at 07:42 #

You’re very hard-working. I like your series of thos drawings really much!
    A little sun and clouds are here. Hope you have a nice day as well. 🙂

4. Leonie Andrews April 14, 2016 at 02:21 #

They are making a wonderful body of work. I hope you are going to exhibit them at some time.

• Rosie Scribblah April 14, 2016 at 04:06 #

Thank you. I am in discussion about a solo show now this minute 😊

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. S’Up? | scribblah - May 9, 2016

[…] show at the fabulous Workers Gallery in Ynyshir, Rhondda, showing the work I am developing on the ancient ancestral stones of South Wales. More to come on […]

2. Out Of Practice | scribblah - April 21, 2016

[…] Print Workshop for a couple of months now, because I’ve been going out and about on the trail of wild megaliths across South Wales on the same day as the drawing sessions. But for the next three weeks, […]