Ethereal, Insubstantial.

12 Apr
The third stone at Llechdwnni

The third stone at Llechdwnni

This is the latest of the series of drawings done en plein air out in the wilds of West Wales, the smallest of three fine stones on farmland near Llechdwnni Farm on the mountain between Ferryside and Pontyberem. I worked on top of some Fabriano Accademica paper that I had prepared with my own home-made walnut ink, diluted into several washes of different intensity. When I’m using prepared paper, I don’t decide which piece to use until I’m looking at what I’m going to draw, then I choose the one that I feel best suits the subject. The drawings are evolving, becoming more insubstantial, which seems odd given that they are massive stones, but their purpose and history are unknown and that, to me, is what makes them ethereal. I used carbon for the intense black, white conte crayon and three Daler Rowney artist pastels in a light blue and two shades of green.

8 Responses to “Ethereal, Insubstantial.”

1. anna warren portfolio April 13, 2016 at 10:01 #

Working so well – there is a lot of depth in this one. It is substantial, but delicate at the same time.

2. Michael Richards (certainline) April 13, 2016 at 07:28 #

Superb. The colour is a really interesting development.

3. annerose April 13, 2016 at 01:12 #

your beautiful prepared paper really adds so much to the drawings

• Rosie Scribblah April 13, 2016 at 03:12 #

Thank you Annerose, I think this is the way I need to explore landscape from now on.

4. paperstew April 13, 2016 at 00:42 #

I really like the direction these drawing are taking with the addition of colors (besides the lush walnut and charcoal). Hope you’re feeling better!

• Rosie Scribblah April 13, 2016 at 03:09 #

Yes thanks, just a 48 hour bug. I’m such a whinger. It was Manthrax really. The colour is creeping itself in. The latest drawings are so different to the early ones, the stones are taking over.