Cairns, Castle And Garlic

2 Jun

Tair Carn 1

Back to hunting the wild megalith in South Wales with archaeologist Dewi Bowen and film maker Melvyn Williams, visiting Neolithic monuments on the Trail Of The Boar, a legend from The Mabinogion. Today we took off to Tair Carn Isaf (the Three Lower Cairns) near Carreg Cennen Castle in Carmarthenshire. The cairns were a hefty walk from the road, steeply uphill over rough ground but worth the effort for the spectacular 360° views. The first and largest cairn we came to has been enhanced with a small rock sculpture perched on top. I like the way that modern people interact with the ancestors by adding to the cairns and even making new ones alongside the old.

I drew onto a piece of Fabriano paper I had previously prepared with charcoal, acrylic paint and my own home-made walnut ink. I drew with Daler Rowney artists’ soft pastels. I don’t want to do representational drawings when I’m out with the ancestral stones, rather I want to express my feelings about the place, to create my own personal impression.

Here’s  a bit of trivia. The castle name, Carreg Cennen is Welsh for Leek Rock – the area is covered with wild garlic, or Ramsons, which was apparently the original Welsh leek. We could smell it for miles around as we travelled to the castle for tea and cake after our trek.

Dewi is researching his new book on Neolithic / Bronze Age monuments. His previous book on the stones of Ancient Siluria (South East Wales) can be found here. Melvyn is recording a documentary about our experiences. Some of Melvyn’s short films can be seen here. I’m currently working on a series of expressive drawings of ancestral sites and if you want to see some of my other artworks, please click here.

11 Responses to “Cairns, Castle And Garlic”

1. allesistgut June 3, 2016 at 07:42 #

This is a huge one. And the smell of the wild garlic must have been great. Did you collected some?
    Have a really great weekend. We’ll get a summer weekend with much sund and warmth. I’m really looking forward to it. 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah June 3, 2016 at 09:10 #

We have been collecting wild garlic for weeks, making pesto with it, delicious. It looks like being a beautiful weekend here too.

• Lois June 3, 2016 at 16:20 #

I tried making pesto but it was too strong and almost bitter… wrong sort of ramsoms? Wrong recipe? Perhaps I should try again! Great story!

• Rosie Scribblah June 3, 2016 at 16:27 #

Maybe too many? I kept it simple, mild olive oil, Ramsons leaves, grana padano cheese, lovely

• Lois June 3, 2016 at 16:33 #

I followed a recipe – and yes it was simple… but I guess some varieties might be stronger than others – I used it in cooking and it was ok, but such a shame it wasn’t nice to eat ‘raw’! it hasn’t put me off though, I’ll try again!

• Rosie Scribblah June 3, 2016 at 20:34 #

It’s very strong when it’s raw, so the pesto doesn’t need a lot of Ramsons, but it’s very mild when it’s cooked.
        Good luck 😀

• Lois June 3, 2016 at 20:35 #

Thank you! I think the recipe was wrong – next time I might cut it with something else, maybe spinach or maybe basil as with original pesto!

• Rosie Scribblah June 5, 2016 at 06:28 #

It may be that you just need a little less? You might also try a ding some finely chopped cashews?

• Lois June 5, 2016 at 09:22 #

That sounds good… cashews are sweet and might counter the slightly bitter side of the ransoms… also cashews added to pretty much anything is great!

2. kestrelart June 2, 2016 at 22:49 #