Fake, Flush And Fanning!

27 Jul

Today, Husb and I had a jaunt up to Cardiff, or The ‘Diff as it’s known around here, to the National Museum to take part in Sky Arts new television series “Fake! The Great Masterpiece Challenge.” I sent off an email to apply back at the beginning of the month and thought no more about it until I had a phone call about a week later and a lengthy telephone interview and next thing I was selected for filming with a companion of my choice, so I chose Husb of course.

The Beacon Light by J M W Turner

The Beacon Light by J M W Turner

It was very humid today and I had a hot flush just before we started, but after some intensive fanning by Husb I cooled down. We spent two hours being filmed, we had to visit 9 paintings by two famous landscape artists, JMW Turner and Richard Wilson and try and work out which had been replaced by a fake. It was REALLY difficult. Would the fake be obvious, in other words a bad forgery, or would it be too well done to be able to tell? We think we found the right one, but we don’t know yet. We have another day of filming in a couple of weeks and if we have guessed the right one, we might go through to the final. Fingers crossed.

I have been travelling across South Wales with Rhondda-born archaeologist Dewi Bowen and Swansea film maker Melvyn Williams, hunting the wild megalith, accompanied by my portable drawing board, portfolio of Fabriano paper and a bag full of assorted artist’s materials.  Dewi is researching his latest book on Neolithic monuments and Melvyn is making a documentary film of our literary and artistic adventures.

If you want to know more about my solo show in The Worker’s Gallery in the Rhondda Valley in September, please click here.

And if you want to see some of my other artwork, please click on the image below.

Quoit

22 Responses to “Fake, Flush And Fanning!”

1. Leonie Andrews July 31, 2016 at 00:33 #

Sounds like fun, in a sort of challenging way. Maybe you’ll be the next Phillip Mould of Wales! The TV loves opinionated, lets hope they don’t edit you incorrectly.

• Rosie Scribblah July 31, 2016 at 06:33 #

That’s the problem, but what the heck. We’re not taking it too seriously 😁

2. anna warren portfolio July 29, 2016 at 02:19 #

How exciting! I can imagine how difficult it was though, sometimes early works look like fakes, and sometimes fakes are better than the real thing! Great way to get your analytical skills going. I do hope it turns up here, we do get some of the UK art shows, we have just finished Portrait Artist of the Year, and we had Landscape Artist etc before, which I really enjoyed.

• Rosie Scribblah July 29, 2016 at 07:20 #

Thanks, it was fun but the more I think about it, the more doubts I have. Do you get Sky? It’s going out on Sky Arts in the new year.

• anna warren portfolio July 29, 2016 at 08:55 #

We get Foxtel – I think it means we get Sky Arts. I will look out for it!

• Rosie Scribblah July 29, 2016 at 10:23 #

oooh I think you might. Mind you, I think I’ve probably made a complete prat of myself! I was very opinionated!

3. paperstew July 28, 2016 at 21:16 #

what a fun day a great show concept. I wonder if it will travel to the states? With our luck, it will show up in about 5years! 😉
    Good luck on the next round!

• Rosie Scribblah July 28, 2016 at 21:31 #

Thanks 😀 They phoned this evening to ask us to come early for the next round because they want us to be interviewed by the 2 presenters. Do you get Sky channel in the USA? I wonder if it will go onto your public broadcaster?

• paperstew July 29, 2016 at 15:44 #

Not sure about Sky channel. It’s not on my providers list. Have a great time with it!

• Rosie Scribblah July 29, 2016 at 15:56 #

It’s a Murdoch company, that’s Fox I think so might get it there – maybe Foxtel?

• paperstew July 31, 2016 at 17:01 #

I checked and couldn’t find it. I’ll patiently wait for it or catch it when we visit!

• Rosie Scribblah July 31, 2016 at 18:28 #

It’s being broadcast early next year so you never know, it might be when you come over. Mind you, it’s an 8 part series so unless you stay for 2 months …..

4. allesistgut July 28, 2016 at 07:31 #

Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun. But I absolutely believe that it’s difficult to find out the original. Happy day to you! 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah July 28, 2016 at 09:21 #

It was fun, but I’m still not sure we picked the right one. Will be so embarrassing if we didn’t 😡

5. Michael Richards (certainline) July 28, 2016 at 07:23 #

How exciting! An art reality show! I’m sure you picked the right one. Looking forward to finding out.

• Rosie Scribblah July 28, 2016 at 09:21 #

We’ll know a week Monday, but it was really hard and also hard when the camera is on you for two hours as well. I hope I didn’t swear or slag anyone off!!!

6. lucylawrencedesigns July 28, 2016 at 01:55 #

Wow, that’s great! I’m excited for you both, well done x

• Rosie Scribblah July 28, 2016 at 06:07 #

Thanks. We’ve probably made complete idiots of ourselves though 😁

7. Lois July 27, 2016 at 21:15 #

Fingers crossed indeed!

• Rosie Scribblah July 27, 2016 at 21:27 #

It was so much fun, but really tiring!

• Lois July 27, 2016 at 21:36 #

I bet! How exciting though!