Seaweed And Gin

24 Apr

6 Roller

I have been experimenting with making a water-based printing ink, using a recipe from printmaker Shannon Yost published by Natural Earth Paint. There’s a comprehensive list of ingredients including Nori (seaweed) paste, powdered minerals and gin. The gin is for preserving the ink. Honest. ๐Ÿ˜€

1 Equipment

2 Ochre

Measure 1 tablespoon of natural powdered pigment.

3 Gin and water

Add half a teaspoon of water and half a teaspoon of gin and mix it up with a chopstick.

5 Add Nori

Turn it onto a palette and add 1 teaspoon of Nori paste.

4 MIX

Mix it well with a palette knife.

6 Roller

Roll a small amount on a smooth surface (I used acrylic sheet) with a roller (brayer).

Stage One completed. Tomorrow I’ll look at trying out different types of blocks and different papers…….

I have put my series of drawings en plein air of ancient Welsh monuments on Artfinder. ย If you want to see more, please click on the image below or the Artfinder link at the top right of this page. This one is the legendary grave of Saint Elfys (Elvis) in Pembrokeshire, not for from the Presceli Mountains. Elfys? Presceli? Elvis Presley? Coincidence? hhhmmmm

St Elvis

18 Responses to “Seaweed And Gin”

1. Fascinating mixture gin and seaweed … or Seaweed and gin[haha] exellent Rosie.xx

2. Mary April 26, 2017 at 22:33 #

The tippling printmaker! Reminds me of Julia Child ๐Ÿ™‚
    I love the color. What is that pigment? Looks like some kind of yellow ochre, really beautiful.
    What fun!

3. Leonie Andrews April 25, 2017 at 08:44 #

I think it’s like that old Christmas pudding recipe. One for the pudding and one for the cook.๐Ÿ˜‰

• Rosie Scribblah April 25, 2017 at 09:19 #

But don’t swallow the sixpence!!!!!

• Leonie Andrews April 25, 2017 at 09:58 #

I still have some sixprences and thruppences passed down from my Aunt. Sometimes they even make it into the pudding.

• Rosie Scribblah April 25, 2017 at 10:02 #

Wow, they’re well old. I have some tiny silver sixpences on a vintage charm bracelet my mother-in-law gave me

4. Phil Cooper April 25, 2017 at 04:13 #

Lovely pics, much enhanced by the bottle of gin on the table . Seaweed and Gin sounds like it should be an artisan bar in Whitstable , they’d go mad for it here!

• Rosie Scribblah April 25, 2017 at 09:18 #

HAHAHAHA Yes, it sounds very hipster, doesn’t it ๐Ÿ˜€

5. alethakuschan April 24, 2017 at 23:43 #

You sure it’s not for preserving the print maker?

Splendid photos of the enigmatic process!

6. Procrastinator's Day Off April 24, 2017 at 22:34 #

‘For preserving the ink’… Hur Hur ๐Ÿ˜€

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The End Of The Experiment | scribblah - May 1, 2017

[…] here’s the last stage of my experimenting with home-made printing ink based on Nori (seaweed) paste. Above is a block cut into vinyl, inked with a roller (brayer) and […]

2. A Bit Of Vintage | scribblah - April 29, 2017

[…] ….. back to my experiments with home-made printing ink. After disappointing results with a lightweight Japanese Hosho paper, I tried a lovely vintage […]

3. Process, Process, Process. | scribblah - April 26, 2017

[…] art involves lots of processes, especially with something like printmaking. I made my own printing ink with Nori (seaweed) paste, ground mineral pigment, water and gin. But successful printmaking […]