A Crafty Afternoon

19 Mar

Herb bottle 1

I work a few hours a week for a charity that supports homeless people, teaching crafts and fine art. Today I had a crafty afternoon. I try to make the craft sessions relevant to people, making practical things that they can use in their new home when they get housed. We recycled plastic drinks bottles – around 1.5 litre capacity and, with gardener’s jute twine, we made macramé herb bottles that people can hang up in their kitchens. I bought a selection of supermarket living herbs – coriander, parsley and basil. Here’s one I did as a demonstration and here it is below as a snake-like work in progress.

macrame 1

6 Responses to “A Crafty Afternoon”

1. outsideauthority March 20, 2019 at 19:58 #

I’ve seen these at craft fairs for astronomical prices. Beautiful though.

• Rosie Scribblah March 21, 2019 at 12:40 #

Really? I must tell my students, they’ll be chuffed 😀

2. Lois March 20, 2019 at 10:23 #

What a great charity, and what great ideas… I wonder if there’s a similar charity for writing and telling stories with homeless people?

• Rosie Scribblah March 20, 2019 at 12:14 #

It’s Crisis, the national charity. There might be a branch in your area. They generally provide a wide range of arts activities including creative writing. They pay a good rate and it’s very rewarding work. I sent my CV to my local office FAO their arts coordinator and she picked up on it.

• Lois March 20, 2019 at 15:04 #

I will investigate! Thanks!

• Rosie Scribblah March 21, 2019 at 12:30 #