Bigguns

16 Aug

stage 5

I’ve spent the past two days at the Creative Bubble artspace in Swansea City Centre, with the 15 Hundred Lives art collective. We have the venue every month to give us the space to work together, try out new ideas and we open the doors to the public so that people can drop in and see how artists go about creating a piece of art. It doesn’t just appear fully formed on a gallery wall!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I worked on a massive drawing, the second in a series I am planning to do over the next year or so. The first, on the right in the pictures, was completed and displayed as part of my installation at Fringe Arts Bath back in June. They are inspired by a visit to Berlin a couple of winters ago, when there was thick snow on the ground. I saw the Holocaust Memorial just after a fresh snowfall. It was beautiful and haunting. I worked with carbon and graphite blocks onto Fabriano Accademico paper, approximately 150cms by 200 cms.

16 Responses to “Bigguns”

1. allesistgut August 18, 2014 at 07:51 #

Very good. Like those large formats. Have a lovely day! 😀

• Rosie Scribblah August 18, 2014 at 08:05 #

Thank you. Hope the weather is good where you are ☺

• allesistgut August 18, 2014 at 08:20 #

Thank you. I’m still in my hometown and it’s sunny but colder than the last days. 🙂

2. paperstew August 17, 2014 at 23:51 #

Large drawings have been so tempting to create, but my space is limited. You’ve fortunate to have such a great place to work in. I’ll be starting the trio of large work on Monday (across 9 hollow core interior doors). Any helpful suggestions?
    🙂

• Rosie Scribblah August 18, 2014 at 06:44 #

On paper? Or directly onto the doors? Get a neck and shoulder massage before you start. I use my left hand as much as possible to give my right hand a break. I can’t wait to see it all in place.

• paperstew August 18, 2014 at 17:39 #

Direct onto doors. 3 per window (3 windows total). I’ll be priming with flat paint and pulling out the charcoal….
        🙂
        I like the massage idea. And left hand too.

• Rosie Scribblah August 19, 2014 at 05:37 #

That’s a BIG job ☺ I find I need a mask with lots of charcoal but there’s much less dust with carbon and virtually none with graphite blocks. When I am cleaning up I find it’s better to hover the vacuum cleaner just above the charcoal dust on a maximum suck setting otherwise the dust streaks. And wet wipes smear it everywhere.

• paperstew August 19, 2014 at 14:34 #

I’ve had to clear out more space in the garage in order to deal with them. It will be nice to spend more time with the cats, since that’s their space.
        It will be an interesting endeavor…. I’m sure I’ll have photos at some point.

• Rosie Scribblah August 20, 2014 at 16:51 #

Aaawww bet the cats are glad to have you

• paperstew August 20, 2014 at 18:29 #

They thought the extra shady spots created by the doors drying against the car was most excellent. I was thrilled neither one of them jumped onto the freshly painted surfaces…. ohh, that could have been ugly!

• Rosie Scribblah August 20, 2014 at 18:34 #

Hahahaha. We have some paw prints across a cork floor thanks to Sparta

• paperstew August 20, 2014 at 18:36 #

Nigel put blue paw prints up my carpeted stairs after walking across the inking slab. He says “Kudos to Sparta!”

• Rosie Scribblah August 20, 2014 at 19:59 #

Hahahaha aawww bless

3. notes to the milkman August 17, 2014 at 12:47 #

I know the cliches about the viewer taking different things from a work but I was originally puzzled by this. A path through a forest? A flight of stairs? Then you mentioned Berlin and I knew exactly what it was! And an excellent rendering too.