Blue Sunday

20 Sep

2 heads

A while back I began a new piece of artwork, quite an ambitious one using some of my sketchbook drawings of older women and a Victorian corset pattern to create a 3D piece in cyanotype, an archaic photographic technique. I cut the pieces from some lovely Somerset Velvet paper, 12 in all, and scanned and printed some of my drawings onto sheets of acetate (after reversing them in Photoshop so they are negatives). Yesterday, I coated the pieces of Somerset with the cyanotype chemicals and put them to dry overnight in a lightproof cupboard. And today I took them to Swansea Print Workshop to develop them in the UV Unit.

After exposing them for 6 minutes, I washed them face down to start the developing process then turned them over – you never know if it’s worked until this point. I’m delighted with them. They were drained for 10 minutes then I put them between sheets of tissue paper between low-density fibre drying boards.

washing 2

Next step is to assemble them and get them ready for the exhibition. More about that tomorrow……..

9 Responses to “Blue Sunday”

1. Alli Farkas September 22, 2015 at 16:07 #

Sounds complicated, but I like the look of it!

• Rosie Scribblah September 23, 2015 at 04:54 #

Thank you. It’s complicated but you get used to it 😀

2. Sharon Mann September 21, 2015 at 02:13 #

Very interesting, can’t wait to see the finished art.

3. Mary September 21, 2015 at 01:10 #

Of course you know that it’s Worldwide Cyanotype Day on Sunday, don’t you?
    Good timing, Rosie!
    Fabulous drawings and project. nice to see drawings instead of photographic images for this process, too. Not the usual fare!

• Rosie Scribblah September 21, 2015 at 05:16 #

Thanks Mary and no I didn’t know. What a coincidence 😀

4. Leonie Andrews September 20, 2015 at 23:31 #

These are looking beautiful Rosie. You said in a previous pist that you would lace them together – are you planning on displaying them ‘in the round’?

• Leonie Andrews September 20, 2015 at 23:33 #

Auto correct failure – that’s ‘post’ not ‘pist’.

• Rosie Scribblah September 21, 2015 at 05:15 #

I’m not sure yet, Leonie. I am going to have a look at the display space today.