The Last Of The Stones

20 Oct

marbled drawing

Here are the last couple of drawings from my weekend sketching ancient burial chambers in North Pembrokeshire. This one at Pentre Ifan is drawn in charcoal, carbon and white conte crayon onto Fabriano Accademica that I had marbled with black oil paint mixed with turpentine.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

stones 2

The Pentre Ifan dolmen, Nevern, Pembrokeshire

Pentre Ifan

Pentre Ifan

Here’s the dolmen drawn over a previous drawing of Maltese catacombs in home-made walnut ink. What next? Well, I’m doing some experiments with cyanotype. Hopefully, if they’re successful, I’ll blog them tomorrow.

11 Responses to “The Last Of The Stones”

1. kestrelart October 23, 2015 at 21:12 #

I love the reuse of sketches

• Rosie Scribblah October 24, 2015 at 05:23 #

Waste not want not as my Nana used to say. And Nanas are always right.

2. certainline October 21, 2015 at 13:55 #

I’ve really enjoyed following this series – the drawings are so impressive and your technique really inspirational. Would it be a bore to explain how you did that marbling?

• Rosie Scribblah October 21, 2015 at 14:43 #

I’m glad you’ve enjoyed them. The marbling was easy. I mixed a little bit of black oil paint with some English turpentine in a small jam jar. i put the lid on and shook it to mix it. Then I half-filled an old plastic washing-up bowl with water, let it settle and then poured a bit of the paint onto the surface. I dropped the paper (Fabriano Accademica 200gsm) onto the surface, lifted it off and there it was 😀

• certainline October 21, 2015 at 16:07 #

Great, thanks. I’ll try that at some point – it does create a marvellous effect.

3. Problems With Infinity October 21, 2015 at 07:17 #

very cool! really love that first one!

• Rosie Scribblah October 21, 2015 at 08:29 #

Thank you. No chipmunks here though 😉

• Problems With Infinity October 21, 2015 at 17:58 #

you just don’t know what’s behind those stones! WALL OF NINJA CHIPMUNKS PREPARING FOR AN ATTACK! Or just some grass. Either way…

• Rosie Scribblah October 21, 2015 at 19:45 #

No chipmunks around here. They are too exotic. We got sheep. They’re pretty rough.

4. Phil Cooper October 21, 2015 at 05:50 #

Really love this series of drawings, they’re so ‘rocky’ in exactly the right way, and the dolmens are knockout too, amazing landscape!

• Rosie Scribblah October 21, 2015 at 06:45 #

Thank you, Phil . I think that using prepared paper made all the difference. I don’t like working on white.