To Paint Or Not To Paint?

24 Oct

buildings

That’s the question, isn’t it? Some printmakers think it’s acceptable to hand-colour etchings and some don’t. I do. This is a little drypoint I did a few weeks ago at The Bagpuss Window based on a drawing I scribbled when I was in Pakistan last year. I’ve added colour with Winsor & Newton half pan artist watercolours applied with a small sable brush.

residency day 2

Swansea Printmakers Hannah Lawson and Rosy Ind at Swansea Print Workshop

I’ve just completed day 2 of a 4 day open studio at Swansea Print Workshop with Hannah Lawson. We travelled together to Rawalpindi in April 2014 to do a residency at the Zaira Zaka print studio and we’re bringing a flavour of that to Swansea. Pop in and see us tomorrow or Monday – 10.30 to 5.00. We’ll give you tea and Welsh Cakes.

9 Responses to “To Paint Or Not To Paint?”

1. allesistgut October 26, 2015 at 09:20 #

I like both etchings and especially the blue yellow combination you chose. Have a lovely day! 😀

2. anna warren portfolio October 26, 2015 at 08:06 #

It’s a fraught question and brings out some strong reactions! I feel that the print makes the decision, whether it needs the hand colour or not.

• Rosie Scribblah October 26, 2015 at 08:17 #

That’s true. It seems to be a tradition in Pakistan and the little drypoints I have done of the place seem to be crying out for colour.

• anna warren portfolio October 26, 2015 at 08:47 #

Yes, they are looking great with the colour – it probably is something intrinsic to the origins that this is what is the right solution for them.

3. jhv57 October 25, 2015 at 03:36 #

I hand color some etchings. There are no rules in art

• Rosie Scribblah October 25, 2015 at 07:26 #

Maybe it’s a British thing. It’s very common in Pakistan, but seems very frowned upon here. I’m going to do it anyway 😊

4. mrsdaffodil October 24, 2015 at 22:26 #

Oh, for heaven’s sake–who makes these rules? Of course you can hand-colour your etchings. You’re the artist, it’s you’re work–you can do whatever you want to do with it. It’s delightful.