Land Of Ice And Fire

4 Nov

trolls small

Husb and I visited Iceland (the country, not the shop) three winters ago and we managed to get a really cheap package deal to go again in a couple of weeks. It’s a fabulous place for an artist, although hard to draw outside in winter temperatures. I tried out different preparations for the papers I took last time so I’ll be replicating those when I go again. You need robust, thick paper, like a heavyweight Khadi, or card – I used mount board (matte board). I laid down some colours onto my papers and cards with ink washes and acrylics last time and drew over them with oil bars and soft pastels. I’ll be doing that again. My usual M.O. of lightweight sketchbook and drawing pens just doesn’t stand up to the moisture in the air and the piercing cold.

We’re hoping to see the Aurora Borealis this time – they didn’t show up on our last visit and I’ve booked myself into a half-day introduction at the Icelandic Elf School.

13 Responses to “Land Of Ice And Fire”

1. Problems With Infinity November 5, 2015 at 21:47 #

very cool!! really love that piece you chose as the main image!!

• Rosie Scribblah November 5, 2015 at 23:59 #

Thank you. It’s the Three Trolls, a rock formation off the coast. They like their trolls and giants and elves in Iceland 😀

2. Russell. November 5, 2015 at 14:25 #

Amazing work Rosie!

• Rosie Scribblah November 5, 2015 at 14:32 #

Thanks Russell. Did that last time we went. Going again next week – I hope it’s clear

3. allesistgut November 5, 2015 at 08:45 #

Wow, what really great news! You’ll going to Iceland soon. Whooo. Oh I share your happiness. I really cross my fingers for you that you see Northern Lights. And I’m so excited to see your new drawings from Iceland, because I really like your old ones.
    Have a lovely day!

4. Leonie Andrews November 4, 2015 at 23:38 #

Oh what a wonderful opportunity. Hope you get to see the lights.

5. Lois November 4, 2015 at 22:48 #

Amazing!!! Lucky you!! I know you’ll have a fab time and fingers crossed for the Aurora… I’ve been twice and never seen it but still fell utterly in love with Iceland!

• Rosie Scribblah November 4, 2015 at 22:50 #

I hope we see it this time. But I’d also like the excuse to go back again 😉

• Lois November 4, 2015 at 22:52 #

How long are you going for? Are you going to be able to travel much?

• Rosie Scribblah November 4, 2015 at 23:00 #

Only 3 nights, mainly in Rekjavik, but we’ve booked a Northern Lights excursion so they’ll take us to the best viewing places, if the lights are out and about. We stayed out in the mountains last time, so wanted to get to see Rekjavik.

• Lois November 5, 2015 at 00:13 #

It’s a charming little city – great art gallery, and several sculpture parks – one near the Hallgrímskirkja… and the other one… um, I’ll find out for you. We were there this time last year and didn’t find it too expensive. Where are you staying?