The Dawn Road From Reykjavik

18 Nov

goodbye 3

The last few photos from my recent trip to Iceland, the road back to Keflavik airport at sunrise. It’s so far north that the dawn is about 9.30 am which is very civilised.

goodbye 2

Once we were out of the city there were little isolated farms or homesteads dotted across the lava landscape.

goodbye 1

The movement of the bus gave a nice smudgy effect in the foreground.

Keflavik airport is really nice, one of the best I’ve been in, super architecture, unhurried ambience, lovely food and it was a fairly short hop back to Bristol …….. and torrential rain.

20 Responses to “The Dawn Road From Reykjavik”

1. paperstew November 22, 2015 at 21:43 #

I never thought of travel to Iceland until your post last year. Then I started seeing more and more photos. It’s certainly on my travel list now! I’ve really enjoyed seeing the landscape through your photos. Thanks so much for sharing! Sparta and Ming are probably thrilled you’re home now. 😉

• Rosie Scribblah November 22, 2015 at 22:29 #

Maybe you could stop off there on your way over. Or back? It’s a convenient drop off point from the USA to the UK and it’s so wonderful. Sparta and Ming have just about forgiven us. Just. With loads of bribery.

2. Problems With Infinity November 20, 2015 at 08:31 #

So crazy beautiful in such a lonely/other worldish kind of way. I especially like the last one!

3. allesistgut November 19, 2015 at 08:39 #

I really do love your photos. They are so unique. The Keflavik Airport is great design, I agree. But unfortunately there are not enough seats before the check in. So it can be very uncomfortable if you have to wait long before the check in. But I would love to do so if I could go back to Iceland. 😀

• Rosie Scribblah November 20, 2015 at 05:15 #

Thank you. I have heard that it’s possible to get a ferry to Iceland but I am not sure if it’s from Norway or Scotland. If it’s from Scotland I might think about doing it, but not in Winter 😀

• allesistgut November 20, 2015 at 09:19 #

I guess there is only one ferry to Iceland. And that goes from Danmark (Hirtshals via Torshavn to Seyðisfjörður). For me it’s not an option, because the travel time is much too long for me.

• Rosie Scribblah November 20, 2015 at 20:24 #

That’s interesting. I have friends living in Denmark so it might be possible for me to do that.

4. anna warren portfolio November 19, 2015 at 01:20 #

I will be in Iceland in less than a month – 4 hours of daylight!! I just can’t wait, and your photos are adding to that!

• Rosie Scribblah November 19, 2015 at 05:07 #

Oh it’s so lovely there. Reykjavik is gorgeous just to walk around. Have a fabulous time. 😀

• Rosie Scribblah November 19, 2015 at 05:16 #

You’re coming a long way. Are you doing a tour?

• anna warren portfolio November 19, 2015 at 05:23 #

Just a short tour, 6 days self-drive, but spending time before and after in the UK, staying with my daughter who lives in London. I’m looking forward to all of it! Secret hope to see the northern lights!

• Rosie Scribblah November 19, 2015 at 05:36 #

Oh we saw them and they are truly awesome. So vast and so strange, unlike anything else I have ever experienced. It’s a very harsh terrain outside Reykjavik. I can definitely recommend an afternoon at the Elfschool, absolutely bonkers but very entertaining.

• anna warren portfolio November 19, 2015 at 06:22 #

It sounds like a place just so different from anywhere else I have been – thanks for the tips! I’m counting the days!

• Rosie Scribblah November 20, 2015 at 05:00 #

I have never seen anything like it either. If you are going to do any drawing outdoors you’re going to have to think about drawing materials and protecting your hands. My usual drawing pens didn’t work in the cold outside but soft chalky pastels were good . Also need robust paper or card because there’s high humidity.

• anna warren portfolio November 20, 2015 at 07:17 #

Thanks for that tip Rosie – I would never have thought of the cold affecting pens or paper! I have some Inktense sticks which could work. Its hard to imagine the cold today, its 41 C here today!

5. jhv57 November 19, 2015 at 00:46 #

How enchanting.

6. The Thought Card November 18, 2015 at 23:52 #

I’m heading to Iceland in the spring. I’m so excited!