Feeling It

26 Nov

nov 1

Just back from life drawing at Swansea Print Workshop. I started with a piece of charcoal but I wasn’t in a charcoal mood tonight and it didn’t feel right on the paper (Daler Rowney A3 sketch pad). So I switched to a lump of graphite and scribbled away. If felt better, it just felt right somehow. That’s something I don’t get when I do digital drawings, the feel of the drawing material dragging across the paper, the way it feels different depending on whether you use the point or the flat side. I experience art as a very physical thing; how materials feel, how they smell, how they sound – yes the sound of different drawing materials against different papers. It’s a sensory experience. In the spirit of “waste not, want not” I drew over the unsuccessful earlier drawings.

8 Responses to “Feeling It”

1. Nancy Farmer November 30, 2015 at 13:27 #

Years ago I used to go to a life drawing class in which a chap drew with a squeaky black marker pen. It was hilarious – you could hear his drawing being created – long and short strokes, tentative and quick ones all announced themselves with different sounds!

2. annerose November 28, 2015 at 02:34 #

I so agree with you, artmaking is such a physical act, feel smell and sound so important. Sometimes one material just isn’t the right one for the moment. Thanks for putting this into words.

• Rosie Scribblah November 28, 2015 at 07:00 #

Art is intensely physical and sensual. It’s often only dealt with on an intellectual and / or emotional level

3. Michael Richards (certainline) November 27, 2015 at 13:19 #

Splendid drawing. I’m hardly ever in a charcoal mood, despite the fine example of my teacher in our life drawing class. A charcoal pencil on the other hand…

• Rosie Scribblah November 27, 2015 at 23:00 #

I like charcoal but in certain circumstances and last night wasn’t one 🙂

4. allesistgut November 27, 2015 at 08:42 #

Great sketch. I’m impressed again. Have a lovely weekend. I saw a storm will come from you. 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah November 27, 2015 at 11:16 #

Thank you 🙂 Oh yes, we’ve had some dreadful storms, but it’s quite mild now