The Beautiful Machine

31 Dec

sewing 1

A while back, I had a small rubber stamp made up from a silkscreen print I did based on the fabulous Frida Kahlo, an artist I admire very much. I printed it onto small leftover pieces of a beautiful Japanese Shiohara paper that I had been using for another print job.

sewing 6

I had been wondering what to do with them and I finally decided on making them up into a self-contained installation that I will be building over the next week.The first stage is to make them more robust  – the Shiohara is a lightweight tissue and won’t take a lot of handling. However, it’s also a well-made natural fibre paper and can be sewn so I made a start by sewing them onto a very robust handmade paper – 300gsm – that I’d bought at the Tate Gallery a few years ago. I’d been wondering what to do with that as well! They really suit each other.

sewing 3

I’m sewing them on an antique Singer sewing machine. It’s Edwardian and dates from around 1904 and it’s a great piece of mechanical engineering as well as being extremely beautiful. It’s so finely balanced, it’s a joy to use. I’ll be carrying on with this in a couple of days, after the holiday.

So a very happy New Year to everyone, I really appreciate you looking in at my blog. Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i chi gyd.

10 Responses to “The Beautiful Machine”

1. humphries346 January 4, 2016 at 16:19 #

Reblogged this on Art History blog.

2. mrsdaffodil January 1, 2016 at 19:47 #

I have a faint childhood memory of seeing a sewing machine like that. Beautiful and useful: a great combination. I’m sure handling that paper is quite pleasurable.

3. cavepainter January 1, 2016 at 01:37 #

That’s an interesting way of mounting paper on another support that I’ve never considered. I might have to try this someday. Thanks for showing it.

• Rosie Scribblah January 1, 2016 at 05:50 #

You’re welcome. They’re both high quality and acid free. You can sew papers together to make books and even applique and embroider onto them.

4. jhv57 January 1, 2016 at 00:55 #

I love sewing paper. By hand and machine. ( and such s pretty machine! )

Great way to upcycle small bits and pieces of tiny beauty. I’ve got to get in the stud

• Rosie Scribblah January 1, 2016 at 05:52 #

The machine is gorgeous and has a story that I will tell as the work goes on. I hope you are feeling better and that 2016 brings you health and happiness, Judith x

5. Mary January 1, 2016 at 00:41 #

Happy New Year, Rose. These papers and this image seem to be made for each other! Fantastic idea, and I love your beautiful sewing machine.

• Rosie Scribblah January 1, 2016 at 05:54 #

Thank you, Mary, the machine is so gorgeous. They don’t make them like that anymore. Have a lovely New Year 😊

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Breaking Out Of The Frame | scribblah - March 15, 2016

[…] I had been wondering what to do with them and I finally decided on making them up into a self-contained installation. I made a start by sewing them onto a very robust handmade paper – 300gsm – that I’d bought at the Tate Gallery a few years ago on an antique Singer sewing machine. […]