Stones, Slurry, Sun

25 Feb

20160225_151026

This morning was bright, sunny and cold and I took off with archaeologist Dewi Bowen and film maker Melvyn Williams for a second day  following the trail of Bronze Age monuments across West Wales. We had a trek up Mynydd Llangyndeyrn, between the villages of Pontyberem and Crwbin to see a magnificent standing stone; a stone circle at the top of the mountain, with an extraordinary 360 degree vista; and a hike through liquid slurry (think The Bog of Eternal Stench) for two sub-Megalithic burial chambers. It was very rugged and very cold but I did 5 drawings en plein air.

And now I’m cwtched at home under a blanket with a purring Sparta Puss on my lap, a hot dinner and lashings of tea. More drawings tomorrow.

10 Responses to “Stones, Slurry, Sun”

1. paperstew February 27, 2016 at 02:14 #

I’m sure loving what you’re doing! You always amaze me!

• Rosie Scribblah February 27, 2016 at 06:30 #

Aw thanks. It’s good practice for me, pushing me out of my comfort zone

2. allesistgut February 26, 2016 at 08:40 #

Lovely and very expressive drawing. Good work under those conditions! Happy Weekend. I hope yours gets as sunny as ours. 😀

• Rosie Scribblah February 26, 2016 at 16:54 #

Thank you. It’s rather gloomy here but at least it’s dry – at the moment 🙂

3. Donna Sands February 26, 2016 at 00:02 #

love the work ..and especially the words…coming from mid-west america it makes me giggle..Great Grandmother was born in Wales, unfortunately she died when my grandmother was 14….

• Rosie Scribblah February 26, 2016 at 04:45 #

Thank you. Do you know where in Wales she was from? Early death was so common back then, so tragic. We are lucky to have warm dry housing now, must have been awful in this climate without central heating and double glazing. It’s great hearing people from outside Wales pronouncing the place names. There’s a clip on YouTube of an American TV presenter trying to pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, the longest place name in the world 😀

4. Phil Cooper February 25, 2016 at 23:56 #

Extreme drawing conditions but worth it, what a fabulous drawing , I must try more drawing outside like that, the results are fab, direct and energetic 😊

• Rosie Scribblah February 26, 2016 at 04:39 #

Thanks Phil. The cold and the freezing slurry focus you on getting the drawing done as quickly as possible and getting back in the nice warm car.

5. Michael Richards (certainline) February 25, 2016 at 22:41 #

Slurry! You do suffer for your art…

• Rosie Scribblah February 25, 2016 at 23:23 #

Well, my boots do anyway. And my waterproof overtrousers. Luckily none of us slipped in it 😁