Paper, Pony, En Plein Air

9 Apr

I’ve been travelling around the wild spaces of South Wales over the last seven weeks with archaeologist Dewi Bowen and film maker Melvyn Williams on Y Twrch Trwyth, The Boar’s Trail from the Mabinogion, the book of ancient Welsh legends. Melvyn is filming as Dewi researches the ancient stones for his new book and I’m drawing them. Melvyn has started to edit together some little snippets of his footage as a video diary of our journeying. This short video shows how I’m preparing my paper for drawing en plein air and also has some footage of me getting to grips with drawing in a high wind up a mountain with a pony determined to get my lunch box.

dewi melvyn

Here’s Melvyn on the left and Dewi at the Llechdwnni standing stones near Llandyfaelog, Carmarthenshire, in a muddy field.

6 Responses to “Paper, Pony, En Plein Air”

1. Leonie Andrews April 11, 2016 at 03:06 #

Fun to see your process in action.I’m looking forward to seeing more in due course. That pony seemed quite determined!

• Rosie Scribblah April 11, 2016 at 07:47 #

I’ve taken to carrying sliced apples with me to give them a treat. The small white ponies are very friendly and curious, other horses are a bit more cautious.

2. Phil Cooper April 10, 2016 at 13:23 #

what a fantastic project Rosie. I love the use of the cut down big drawing to give you those marks to start with, it makes things so fresh and interesting.

• Rosie Scribblah April 11, 2016 at 07:45 #

Thank you, Phil. The random marks become an integral part of the drawing.

3. Michael Richards (certainline) April 9, 2016 at 23:23 #

Ha ha, wonderful film! How liberating to paint on such big sheets of paper

• Rosie Scribblah April 11, 2016 at 07:43 #

I get it by the roll from Seawhite of Brighton. It’s good quality and relatively cheap in bulk. Fabriano Accademica