Wild Walking

10 Apr
2 of the Llechdwnni standing stones

2 of the Llechdwnni standing stones

My latest day in West Wales drawing ancestral stones was the seventh so far. The time has gone by so quickly, we started in February, archaeologist Dewi Bowen, film maker Melvyn Williams and myself. The weather isn’t good now but two months ago it was brutal and the ground was sodden after months of almost ceaseless rain. On top of that, some of us were getting over Winter illnesses and although medical advice was positive about our wild walking, I found it alarming sometimes that we were far from civilisation with no phone signal. But the experience seems to be making us all fitter as we’re edging out of Winter and into Spring. Many of the stones are miles from anywhere, down roads that are not even on most maps, places that SatNav doesn’t seem to have heard of. It’s exciting discovering my country as well as my heritage. These are two of the three standing stones of Llechdwnni, near Llandyfaelog in Carmarthenshire.

Here’s a short video of me up the mountain trying to draw in the wind with a very curious Welsh pony.

6 Responses to “Wild Walking”

1. paperstew April 13, 2016 at 00:52 #

It was a treat to see you working the large paper, then tearing it down. Thanks to M!! So, did the cheeky pony raid your lunch box?

• Rosie Scribblah April 13, 2016 at 03:11 #

He had some apple and I have been taking apple slices along since. The mountains are covered with wild ponies. The little white ones are the boldest, short, fat, cheeky things

2. allesistgut April 11, 2016 at 07:35 #

Thanks for giving us some insight about your work. And the pony is really stubborn but really cute. Have a lovely week! 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah April 11, 2016 at 07:48 #

Thank you. I hope the weather holds up for you. Do you have wild horses near you?

• allesistgut April 11, 2016 at 08:11 #

Yes. The weather is great these day. Sun all weekend long. But rain is on the way. And no, here don’t live wild horses.

• Rosie Scribblah April 11, 2016 at 10:53 #

Ah yes, the rain started yesterday evening and it’s pretty miserable here now 😦