The Past: The Future

5 Jul

While I’ve been travelling across South Wales with archaeologist Dewi Bowen, drawing megaliths in the ancient Neolithic landscape, we’ve been accompanied by film maker Melvyn Williams and he’s been editing up short films as we go along. Here’s his latest instalment in the story of The Hunt / Yr Helfa.

Drawing the King's Quoit

Drawing the King’s Quoit

All the work I’m doing will eventually be featured in a solo show in The Worker’s Gallery in the Rhondda Valley in September. If you want to know more, please click here.

18 Responses to “The Past: The Future”

1. Alli Farkas July 6, 2016 at 14:21 #

Very well-constructed video. Didn’t think I would sit through all 4 or so minutes of it, but I couldn’t stop till the end. Curiosity question–in some shots it looks like there’s a lot of flat land, but there are these monolith rocks that have been placed standing up. Wondering where the huge rocks came from? I suppose somebody has figured out what type of rock it is and where it occurs naturally, but you have to wonder how it got to its final resting place…

• Rosie Scribblah July 7, 2016 at 07:47 #

Thanks for watching Alli. Most of the large stones are glacial erratic, left behind when the Ice Age retreated and the ancestors used them. Most haven’t been moved very far. Except of course for the Welsh Presceli bluestones at Stonehenge which were moved hundreds of miles. No one has figured out how so far.

2. allesistgut July 6, 2016 at 07:48 #

It’s a very enjoyable video. I like it so much and to hear about your thoughts behind drawing those ancient stones. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely day.
    I’ll cross my fingers for Wales in the football EC tonight! πŸ˜€

• Rosie Scribblah July 7, 2016 at 07:44 #

Thank you. Unfortunately we didn’t get the result we wanted. Never mind. Hope the weather keeps fine for you πŸ˜€

• allesistgut July 7, 2016 at 07:50 #

Yes, it’s such a pity. 😦 The weather is fine today. A sunny cloud mix.

• Rosie Scribblah July 7, 2016 at 10:31 #

So good luck to Germany then πŸ˜€

• allesistgut July 7, 2016 at 11:23 #

Thank you very much! πŸ˜‰

3. Leonie Andrews July 6, 2016 at 07:31 #

I really enjoyed the video. Great to hear your voice for ‘real’, other than your words. I loved the close ups of the stones – the colours and textures are intriguing.

• Rosie Scribblah July 7, 2016 at 07:42 #

Thank you, Leonie 😊 I hate hearing my voice, but I suppose that’s common

• Leonie Andrews July 7, 2016 at 13:16 #

We always sound ‘odd’ to ourselves. I sound like my older sister! even scarier. πŸ˜€

• Rosie Scribblah July 7, 2016 at 13:23 #

Oh that must be very weird. I sound like someone I don’t know speaking with a voice I don’t recognise lol πŸ˜€

4. paperstew July 6, 2016 at 00:16 #

That was fabulous! I’m so glad you spoke about the stones and why you are drawn to focus on them at this time. Each one is so beautiful, unique, and will last centuries more. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Such a treat!!!

• Rosie Scribblah July 7, 2016 at 07:39 #

Thanks 😊 It’s a surprise to me how affected I am by them, I am totally immersed in this now. We can visit some when you visit if you want.

• paperstew July 7, 2016 at 18:14 #

That would be a total YES! I really want to get out and see some of them!

• Rosie Scribblah July 7, 2016 at 18:23 #

Definitely. They’re all quite close. We could even do a day trip to Stonehenge if you want

• paperstew July 7, 2016 at 19:27 #

It makes me excited to think about next spring!! πŸ˜„

• Rosie Scribblah July 9, 2016 at 04:18 #