Fellow Hunters

7 Aug

Newport b2

Cerrig Y Gof is a site of five tombs just outside the village of Newport in North Pembrokeshire. They were completely overgrown with brambles and bracken but we carefully cleared most of the undergrowth away, revealing the ancient treasures underneath. We met some fellow hunters of the wild megalith and had a great conversation – we rarely see other people on our travels.

Newport b1

Since February I have been travelling across South Wales with Rhondda-born archaeologist Dewi Bowen and Swansea film maker Melvyn Williams, up mountains, through slurry, mud and bog, across beaches in all weathers accompanied by my portable drawing board, portfolio of Fabriano paper and a bag full of assorted artist’s materials.  Dewi is researching his latest book on Neolithic monuments and Melvyn is making a documentary film of our literary and artistic adventures.

I’ve done around 50 drawings now and these will be exhibited in my solo show in The Worker’s Gallery in the Rhondda Valley in September. Please click here to find out more about it.

And if you want to see some of my other artwork, please click on the image below.

Quoit

9 Responses to “Fellow Hunters”

1. Leonie Andrews August 8, 2016 at 12:12 #

Glad you met some fellow enthusiasts on your travels. I am really liking your last two sketches.

2. Lois August 8, 2016 at 00:11 #

You are so talented!!!

3. paperstew August 7, 2016 at 23:04 #

Such a nice bunch of stones. I’m surprised more folks don’t get out to see them.

• Rosie Scribblah August 7, 2016 at 23:09 #

It may be because we’re a bunch of lunatics that have been traipsing around in foul weather while other people sensibly wait for summer 😀

• paperstew August 8, 2016 at 00:49 #

How many stones are recorded in your area? I’m fascinated with this project! Still wish I was able to come see the show in September.

• Rosie Scribblah August 8, 2016 at 01:15 #

Crikey! Thousands of them across Wales and tens of thousands across the UK and Ireland. You can track their progress across Europe from Malta about 10,000 years ago to UK and Ireland about 5,000 years ago.

• Rosie Scribblah August 8, 2016 at 08:12 #

There are thousands across Wales. We live in a Neolithic landscape. In many parts, there is even an echo of the Mesolithic. I love it.