The Oscar Speech

24 Sep
gayle

Gayle Rogers introduces (from left) Dewi Bowen, Rose Davies and Melvyn Williams

Wow! What an evening. It was the last night of my solo show, ‘Yr Helfa / The Hunt’, in the lovely Workers Gallery in Ynyshir and I joined my collaborators, prehistorian Dewi Bowen and filmmaker Melvyn Williams for an ‘in conversation’. Melvyn showed excerpts of the film he’s working on (he’s been following Dewi and me with a camera for 8 months now) and then engaged us in conversation about what we’ve been doing. No problem getting us to talk, we’re both chopsy.

yr-helfa

Some of the many drawings I’ve done en plein air following the Trail of The Boar, Y Twrch Trwyth

This has been my first solo show and it’s been both nerve-wracking and exhilarating. I’m so grateful to Gayle Rogers and Chris Williams, who run The Workers, for giving me the chance to exhibit and being so supportive; to Melvyn and Dewi who have been great to work with (the collaboration continues); to all the people who have come along to the exhibition and the two events I held; to the artlovers who bought my work; and to those who have given me so much support on social media – thanks everyone 😀

Crikey – it’s like an Oscar speech, isn’t it?

That’s it for now, the exhibition is over and I’m collecting the work on Monday but I’m looking for another venue for the show so watch this space ……..

And here are the short films that Melvyn showed last night, one featuring Dewi and one of me.

16 Responses to “The Oscar Speech”

1. anna warren portfolio September 28, 2016 at 19:40 #

I think this must have been a wonderful exhibition, I have really enjoyed following your journey. Good to see your video too – evidence left by such ancient humans as this is somehow very comforting.

2. alethakuschan September 25, 2016 at 18:06 #

congratulations

3. Michael Richards (certainline) September 25, 2016 at 01:23 #

Congratulations Rosie, it looks terrific.

4. Leonie Andrews September 24, 2016 at 23:16 #

Thanks for posting the videos Rosie. I enjoyed hearing your thoughts about exploring your heritage at home. Sometimes it is the incredibly obvious that takes us so long to grasp.

5. Phil Cooper September 24, 2016 at 22:30 #

Congrats Rosie, it looks like it’s been a great show and a great experience 😊

6. Jac Saorsa September 24, 2016 at 22:17 #

Well done and congratulations on what clearly has been a successful show! Just sorry I couldn’t make it.
    All best
    Jac

7. paperstew September 24, 2016 at 20:20 #

Fabulous! I bet it was a great gathering. Wishing I could have been there to take it all in. Congrats on a beautiful show!!!

• Rosie Scribblah September 24, 2016 at 22:14 #

Thanks Gale. It was lovely. I’m hoping to show it closer to home soon 😀

• paperstew September 25, 2016 at 03:37 #

It was a bit of a jaunt to The Workers Gallery! Hoping you can get it shown in Swansea!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Welsh hills, Dare valley | kestrelart - September 25, 2016

[…] couple of weeks ago , we went to the Workers Gallery in Ynyshir to see Rose Davies’ exhibition, “The Hunt”.  The next morning the family went for a long large breakfast while I took the chance to walk and […]