Nasty Women

18 Sep

Kathe Hillary

I have entered this little collage into a group show in London called ‘Nasty Women UK‘. I am hugely inspired by Käthe Kollwitz, the German feminist, socialist, anti-war artist who died in 1945, after a lifetime of using her art as political protest, being banned by both the First Reich and the Third Reich, a truly ‘nasty woman’ in the eyes of the corrupt establishment. Some time ago I produced a suite of screenprints, derived from original drawings of my artistic heroines. I converted the image of Kollwitz into a rubber stamp and have been experimenting by stamping her image onto Shiohara Japanese paper. In this collage, I have combined a stamped image of Kollwitz with a newspaper photo of Hillary Clinton getting ‘selfied’, two ‘nasty women’ together (Trump labelled Clinton a nasty woman).

The exhibition is this weekend, 22, 23, 24 October at the Stour Space in Hackney Wick, E3 2PA and is part of a while load of events.

A lot of my artwork is available on my Artfinder gallery.  If you’d like to have a look, please click on the image below or the Artfinder link at the top right of this page.

Gors Fawr, near Mynachlog-ddu in the Preseli mountains, a lush green bog fringed with glowing hills.

14 Responses to “Nasty Women”

1. glennart September 19, 2017 at 16:24 #

Perhaps Rego would sit beside Kollwitz as another ‘nasty woman’ on the right side of history. Good work, Rosie!

• Rosie Scribblah September 20, 2017 at 06:08 #

Oh she certainly could! Did you see the documentary about her recently?

• glennart September 20, 2017 at 08:12 #

No, will seek it out. I think when the dust settles on art history, she will be seen as a far more significant artist than Freud or Auerbach. Her art speaks of the human condition with far more articulacy than either.

• Rosie Scribblah September 20, 2017 at 18:06 #

It is an extraordinary documentary.

2. glennart September 19, 2017 at 16:22 #

Reblogged this on SMOKINGBRUSH and commented:
    Rosie showing that political art need not be solemn or portentous. Like!

3. Phil Cooper September 19, 2017 at 13:32 #

Great stuff Rosie. I can’t think of many British female artists equivalent to Käthe Kollwitz. My husband is German and he said they grew up with her and so she didn’t seem that remarkable but to us she’s such an inspiring figure I think and great to see her appearing in this piece

• Rosie Scribblah September 20, 2017 at 06:07 #

Thank you, Phil. I wonder if anti – German sentiment after the war kept her hidden from us?

4. jhv57 September 19, 2017 at 11:40 #

Love this! We should all be nasty women.

5. Carol Lois Haywood September 19, 2017 at 01:45 #

I admire the work and activism of Kathe Kollwitz also! An intriguing use of her image here.

• Rosie Scribblah September 20, 2017 at 06:00 #

Thank you, Carol. It was made specifically for the exhibition theme, it was an interesting process for me.

6. ms6282 September 18, 2017 at 23:06 #

I like your stamps.
    I’ve just seen an exhibition of Käthe Kollwitz prints in Dublin. There’s another in Birmingham until November. Really moving images. Not just illustrating poverty , the effects of war and social injustice but a call to action too.

• Rosie Scribblah September 20, 2017 at 05:59 #

Thank you. I am hoping to get up to the Birmingham show, went to her museum in Berlin a few months ago and it was amazing