Testing Testing One Two Three

29 Oct
SOB7

The final layered print

I tried out a new printmaking technique today, gel printing with a commercial Gelli plate. It’s part of the equipment I’ve been given for my part-time job running art sessions with people who are homeless and insecurely housed. The instructions just said to use paper and acrylic paint but were no more specific than that so I wanted to try out some of the different acrylic media I have hanging around to see which worked best. First off, water-based printing inks from Seawhite of Brighton. The inks blended well on the plate, took the textures I pressed into them, printed easily onto a basic Daler Rowney cartridge paper (90gms) and cleaned up really well. I used baby wipes on the gel plate and warm water on the roller. Easy peasy.

I also tried the process with two other acrylic media, Liquitex acrylic inks and Winsor & Newton’s Galeria acrylic paints.

SOB8

The Liquitex inks were too runny for this process and smeared rather than rolled across the plate. They didn’t take the texturing well and quite a bit of ink was left on the plate afterwards. It’s a pity because the colours are gorgeous. The makers recommend trying a heavier Liquitex paint.

Lastly, I used the Winsor & Newton acrylic paints. They felt quite dry while I was rollering them onto the Gelli plate but they seemed to take the textures well. However, the inks didn’t transfer well to the paper, they dried out very quickly and I had trouble cleaning the roller.

SOB9

The results are okay for a first session. I’m used to doing monotypes onto a hard perspex (plexiglass) surface and I’m not sure whether I would use this technique for my own printmaking, but I need to do more experiments. I can see me using this technique to produce collage papers though. Next time, I think I’ll try with my Caligo Easywash inks and Liquitex Heavy Body acrylic. I’ll let you know …..

9 Responses to “Testing Testing One Two Three”

1. jhv57 October 30, 2017 at 12:57 #

Bubble wrap. Another tool in the arsenal. Thanks for sharing that. Something I could w/o a press. Might work into something some time. Thanks.
    Judith

• Rosie Scribblah October 30, 2017 at 16:27 #

You’re very welcome, Judith. The crumpled tissue paper works well too. It’s the stronger tissue, not the soft one that shops use to wrap stuff in.

2. Rebecca October 30, 2017 at 08:57 #

This is fascinating, particularly as one of these plates is on my (rather extensive) Christmas list… I’ll be following with interest. 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah October 30, 2017 at 16:28 #

It’s very good. I can see a lot of scope once I have tried out some better quality inks on it.

• Rebecca October 30, 2017 at 17:57 #

Mmmm… it’s moving towards the top of my wish list now! 🙂

3. Leonie Andrews October 30, 2017 at 02:44 #

Thanks for the information. I’m doing a workshop using this technique in two weeks time. Although I assume that the organisers know which paints will work. 🤞

• Rosie Scribblah October 30, 2017 at 16:28 #

You’re welcome. I hope to try out some other paints / inks in the next couple of days….

4. Emma Cownie October 29, 2017 at 22:02 #

Some pretty great colours here.