Wellies And Woods

27 Dec

chelray

This afternoon, Husb and I went for a family walk in the gorgeous Penllergare Woods, just north of Swansea. It’s a spectacular Victorian garden, established by the photography pioneer John Dillwyn Llewellyn, that is being restored to its former glory. He had the valley of the Afon (River) Llan landscaped in the ‘Picturesque‘ style.

twin trunks

I took some photos and did a quick scribble of two of my young nieces in their wellies. It was an overcast and occasionally drizzly afternoon and the sky looked bleached out.

waterfall

The river was very high because of the recent torrential rains and the waterfall was much more fierce than normal. Penllergare Woods is well worth a visit, there are miles of beautiful walks and a very nice tea room with home made cakes. It’s a trust run by volunteers and relies on the support of visitors to keep it going.

reflect

11 Responses to “Wellies And Woods”

1. mrsdaffodil December 31, 2015 at 16:52 #

Wild and wonderful landscape! I like the sketch, too.

2. paperstew December 30, 2015 at 23:55 #

Lovely sketch (like normal) and it’s an extra bonus to see photos too. It makes me want to visit you even more. 😉

• Rosie Scribblah December 31, 2015 at 06:58 #

Oh there are so many lovely places, you’ll have to stay a month!

3. kestrelart December 29, 2015 at 01:17 #

How did you sketch them as they walked away? Were you walking and drawing at the same time?

• Rosie Scribblah December 29, 2015 at 06:17 #

Yes, very quickly and it’s a sort of composite of all the movements rather than trying to do an exact copy. I do it often when I am strolling along the promenade or through the pedestrianised parts of the city.

• kestrelart December 29, 2015 at 08:42 #

Very impressed.
        The rest of us are walking along looking at our smartphones.

• Rosie Scribblah December 29, 2015 at 08:49 #

Hahahaha. It’s easier when you’re with family because you can tell them to slow down. I get the basic lines done then put in shading and extras like the spots on the wellies later. Very god for practice and discipline.

• Rosie Scribblah December 29, 2015 at 06:52 #

Oh and I did a bit more work on the sketch when I came home. Only a quick one though.

4. Problems With Infinity December 28, 2015 at 00:17 #