A Tight Fit (Male Nude- parental guidance suggested)

29 Jan
Jan 5

Drawing 5, 15 minutes

Went to life drawing at Swansea Print Workshop yesterday evening and sketched a male model who goes under the name of Ben D’Busse. I started with some very quick drawings and fell into the usual trap of not fitting the figure to the page. I nearly always run over the edges.

Ben is a fab model, really thin, so thin that the drawings end up with a touch of Egon Schiele about them

It was really hard fitting the drawing on the page of my A2 size brown paper sketchbook. I used willow charcoal and chalk, with the brown paper providing a nice mid-tone. I finally just managed to squeeze him all in by the fifth drawing. There was some strong foreshortening to contend with and I took a leaf out of Egon’s book and distorted the body to fit, a lot of his work is distorted.

11 Responses to “A Tight Fit (Male Nude- parental guidance suggested)”

1. martinsdoodles February 1, 2016 at 13:42 #

Fitting a drawing onto the page does seem to be an eternal problem at life drawing. I tried using larger paper but the page always runs out of room before getting to the feet. Great drawings.

• Rosie Scribblah February 1, 2016 at 18:24 #

Oh yes. I’ve worked off rolls of paper 150cm wide and still had problems. Thanks for your kind comment 😀

2. Michael Richards (certainline) January 31, 2016 at 22:57 #

Fabulous drawings, Rosie. By the way where do you find American brown paper sketchbooks? I’ve never found any bigger than A4.

• Rosie Scribblah February 1, 2016 at 00:26 #

Thank you, Michael. In New York City. I can’t remember the name of the art shop, it was a big one on several floors and a few years ago. Dirt cheap though.

• Michael Richards (certainline) February 1, 2016 at 09:36 #

Thanks. I’ll look out for one the next time I’m over there. I’ll take a larger suitcase…

3. Alli Farkas January 30, 2016 at 05:38 #

Well, if it’s any, or just a small, consolation–I have a habit of running life drawings off the paper too…

4. Donna Sands January 30, 2016 at 00:18 #

wonderful sketches

5. Phil Cooper January 29, 2016 at 23:15 #

Such energy in these drawings, bravo Rosie!