The School Stone Redrawn

23 Jun

Cockett Valley stone graphite

I’ve been travelling around South Wales drawing ancient stone monuments in the field but I’ve now started to look at the drawings and photos to decide how to develop them; maybe more complex drawings or mixed media pieces: etchings or linocuts? The first stage in this process for me is to do some small ‘thumbnail’ sketches from my original drawings and site photographs. These thumbnails help me get more acquainted with the subject as the field drawings are done very quickly and intuitively.

I’ve drawn with a fine graphite stick (6B) onto a small piece of heavyweight textured paper from the Tate Gallery shop that I had prepared by sponging lightly with a sepia wash. It’s a beautiful paper with deckled edges. This is the Cockett Valley Stone, found on the playing fields of a local comprehensive school.

I’ve been travelling around South Wales with archaeologist Dewi Bowen, who is researching his new book on Neolithic / Bronze Age monuments. His previous book on the stones of Ancient Siluria (South East Wales) can be found here. Also with us  is film maker Melvyn Williams, recording a documentary about our experiences. Some of Melvyn’s short films can be seen here. If you want to see some of my other artworks, please click here.

6 Responses to “The School Stone Redrawn”

1. allesistgut June 24, 2016 at 07:52 #

Very cool. I like the strong and clear lines. Have a lovely weekend! 😀

• Rosie Scribblah June 24, 2016 at 10:35 #

Thank you, but the weekend will be a miserable one now that the UK has voted to leave the EU. Devastated.

• allesistgut June 24, 2016 at 13:13 #

Oh dear! Neither do I understand that the UK voted to leave the EU. I really didn’t expected that. 😦

• Rosie Scribblah June 24, 2016 at 13:46 #

No, neither did nearly half of the population. It’s a very close vote but shows the awful split in our society. I want to remain a European 😦

2. Leonie Andrews June 24, 2016 at 00:37 #

I’m starting to learn that several versions of the same place, if I have the tkme often results in better pieces. Although I must admit that I have become so caught up in Urban Sketching , where we draw only at site means that I almost find it hard to work on a piece or develop something when I am at home. Bizarre! 😊

• Rosie Scribblah June 24, 2016 at 10:34 #

I know what you mean. I need the discipline of working from existing sketches and occasionally, photos, to develop prints.