Upstairs Downstairs

26 Dec

Called into Waterstones bookshop café today, it’s one of my favourite places for sketching en plein air because it’s upstairs with large windows overlooking the busy street which has a couple of benches often full of busy shoppers taking a rest. So I spy on them and draw them while I’m having a cuppa.

boxing day 2018

9 Responses to “Upstairs Downstairs”

1. outsideauthority December 27, 2018 at 23:30 #

Can never get a window seat at ours!

• Rosie Scribblah December 28, 2018 at 14:29 #

Luckily there’s a large expanse of windows so can usually get one. Also I tend to pop in not long before they close, when it’s quiet.

2. Sharon Mann December 27, 2018 at 15:41 #

Happy New Year Rosie, bookstores and sketching, a perfect afternoon.

• Rosie Scribblah December 27, 2018 at 20:06 #

It’s great, a lovely place in an old Edwardian cinema. Blwyddyn Newydd Hapus i chi, Happy New Year to you, Sharon 🙂

3. Lois December 27, 2018 at 09:17 #

Great sketches… I ought to do word sketches, oughtn’t I?! Were they a couple, or strangers?

• Rosie Scribblah December 27, 2018 at 14:22 #

Word sketches would be fascinating. I normally use my sketchbooks as the basis for more complex pieces of work.

• Rosie Scribblah December 27, 2018 at 14:23 #

I think they were related. They knew each other, but different generations, she’s on the phone but he didn’t seem to have one

4. Alyson Williams December 27, 2018 at 00:37 #

I love Waterstones…haven’t been there for ages. Delicious smell of new books and coffee! Great sketches by the way! X

• Rosie Scribblah December 27, 2018 at 01:48 #

Thanks, it’s a lovely place to hang out. Great spot for sketching.